Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1990 pontiac sunbird: removing..the starter..2.0L..Turbo

Customer Question

What's the basic method of removing the starter from 1990 pontiac sunbird OHC 2.0L Turbo?
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 9 years ago.

Need the eighth digit of the Vin number. There are 5 different versions of the 2.0 liter engine unless you want to sort thru all of the procedures yourself.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 9 years ago.

The VIN code referred to here will be the 8th digit if the VIN.

2.0L (VIN K & M) Engines

See Figure 3

MANUAL TRANSAXLE

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery.

2. Remove the wire loom strap from the upper starter bolt.

3. Disconnect the shift and selector level cables at the external selector lever.

4. Remove the upper and lower transaxle control lever cable bracket and cables.

5. Remove the drive axle support brace.

6. Detach the starter electrical connectors, then remove the starter from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Position the starter in the vehicle, then attach the electrical connectors.

2. Install the drive axle support brace.

3. Install the upper and lower transaxle control lever cables and brackets.

4. Connect the shift and selector lever cable bracket and cable.

5. Fasten the wire loom strap to the upper starter bolt.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: When removing the starter, be sure to note the location of any shims that may have been used - 2.0L (VIN K and M) engines

AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE

2. Remove the blower motor. For details, please refer to the procedure located in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.

3. Label and detach the starter electrical connectors.

4. Remove the rear starter brace.

5. Disconnect the wire loom from the upper starter bolt.

6. Unfasten the upper starter bolt, then remove the transaxle strut.

7. Unfasten the lower starter bolt, then remove the starter from the vehicle through the blower motor opening.

To install:

1. Position the starter in the vehicle, then secure with the lower starter bolt.

2. Install the transaxle strut.

3. With the aid of an assistant, secure the upper starter bolt, then connect the wire loom to the upper bolt.

4. Install the rear starter brace.

5. Attach the starter electrical connectors.

6. Install the blower motor, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.

7. Connect the negative battery cable.

2.0L (VIN H) Engine

See Figure 4

2. Remove the upper starter bolt.

3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

4. For vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle, detach the starter electrical connectors.

5. Disconnect the engine ground cable at the engine.

6. Remove the rear starter mount.

7. For vehicles equipped with a manual transaxle, detach the starter electrical connectors.

8. If equipped, unfasten the lower starter bolt, then remove the starter from the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Removing the starter on a 2.0L (VIN H) engine

To install:

1. Position the starter in the vehicle, then secure using the lower retaining bolt.

2. If equipped with a manual transaxle, attach the starter electrical connectors at this time.

3. Install the rear starter mount.

4. For vehicles with an automatic transaxle, attach the starter electrical connectors at this time.

5. Connect the engine ground cable to the engine.

6. Carefully lower the vehicle.

7. Install the upper starter bolt.

8. Connect the negative battery cable.

2.0L (VIN 1) and 2.2L (VIN 4 & G) Engines

See Figure 5

2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

3. For vehicles equipped with a manual transaxle, remove the bending brace from around the starter.

4. Unfasten the starter motor-to-engine bolts, then carefully lower the starter. Remember, the leads are still attached to the starter.

5. Remove the nuts/bolts that hold the starter bracket to the starter and engine.

6. Detach the electrical leads, then remove the starter from the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Removal and installation of the starter - 2.2L engine shown, 2.0L (VIN 1) similar

To install:

1. Raise the starter into position, then connect the electrical leads. Tighten the "S" terminal to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm) and the battery terminal to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

2. Secure the starter using the retaining bolts. Tighten to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm). Install the nuts/bolts that hold the start bracket to the starter and the engine. Tighten the bracket-to-engine bolt to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm) and the brace-to-starter motor nut to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

3. If equipped with a manual transaxle, install the bending brace.

4. Carefully lower the vehicle, then connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: The eighth digit is an "M". Thanks for the quick reply.