Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1999 Dodge: V8 5.9L Ram 4X4, short bed, std cab,truck..rebuilt

Customer Question

My 1999 Dodge, V8 5.9L Ram 4X4, short bed, std cab,truck had major engine failure at 35,000 miles. the dealer rebuilt the engine under warranty. Now there is a slight tapping noise from the back, left side , top of the engine. The dealer thinks it is a lifter, that there could be dirt in it, but doesn't think it is a problem.
I am supposed to keep an eye on it and if it gets louder, bring it back in.

I don't like the noise, it didn't do that before the engine rebuild.

The problem is that the trucks engine failed while on a trip and was towed to the nearest dealer. Which is 100 mile away. We cannot keep going back there.

They seem to think the tapping noise is nothing to be concerned about. The dealer treated me very well in the emergency situation and fixed my truck under warranty . They always acted very friendly and proffessional.

Should I be concerned about the tapping and should I take it to my local dealer???????

Any info and opinion will be greatly appreciated.
                            Thank-You, Deb
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Talk to your regional service director and tell him your concerns and also tell him you want to deal with your local dealer witch really shouldn't be a problem anyway since the engine should be rebuilt to Chrys corp specs.

The regional service rep should be able to smooth things out to your satisfaction that is their job to keep customers happy

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Wow, didn't think of that....thanks so very much!!!!
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
I definately wouldn't accept that answer from the dealer. You have the right to have it fixed right.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I talked with Dodge customer service " Amy " and she could not give me an answer to this problem.I ask if there was a Dodge regional service manager I could speak with and she didn't " think so"???

She thought if I took it to my dealer , I would have to pay???

I talked with the dealer that fixed the truck and he thought " IF " it was a lifter problem , it " could " be due to the engine failure, " BUT " when they rebuilt the engine, they "saw or heard" no need to replace or repair the lifters.

He said I could take my truck to my local dealer and if it was a lifter problem, that has a occurred , it would be under warranty, and they had no problems with talking to my local dealer about anything that was done to the truck or about anything that was found upon dismantling.

So now, if my local dealer doesn't give me a hard time about going there after major work was done elsewhere....BUT... it was warranty work and it was a Dodge dealer....so I don't see that there should be a problem.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it!!
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Don't worry about it. It was done by another dealer and they HAVE to look at it AND cover your warranty (assuming it's still under MFG warranty). As for the regional Service Manager, of course there is one. That dealer answers to a zone office and they have their own representativer that takes over when the local dealer can't satisfy you. They don't like that. It's like going to their boss.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Still under the MFG warranty...so we will see what my local dealer says about the tapping noise.

Thanks again for your reply!