Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

2000 suzuki: I have a 1979 Trans Am..sits..motorcycle..500 miles

Customer Question

I have a 1979 Trans Am with 24K miles. It mostly sits there. Also, a 2000 Susuki Hiyabusa motorcycle with 3,500 miles. (zero to sixty in 2.9 seconds!) Should I put any additives in these vehicles to help with starting since they sit for several weeks between starts. And how often do you recommend changing the oil, if I start using Amsoil?
Category: Car
Expert:  DCM replied 11 years ago.
Well it's alway recomended changing oil every three thousand miles, find out what Amsoil recomendation, my suggestion is just use a cynthetic oil rather than adding additives. On your transam just disable your ignitioo coil and crank the engine for atleast five minutes just to make sure the oil is flowing to the passage, or if you know how to prim it just do so, and for the motorcycle just pull the spark plug wire out and do the same before actualy sarting the engine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to DCM's Post: I found this service on the website that has a report about oil. The report is at http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf It was saying things about changing oil every 25,000 miles. So that's why I asked, but you gave me the standard 3000 mileage change or ask Amsoil. After reviewing your answer and going thru the report again, I think I'll just keep doing what I've always been doing. I was asking the question so I wouldn't have to go thru the report again.

Isn't most of the wear you get from cranking the car when there's no oil? Or does the wear come after it's finally started for the first few seconds, i.e. the starter doesn't turn it fast enough to wear it, but when it idles at 1000 rpms it's wearing until the oil gets flowing

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Quote:

Any time the engine is turning, you have the potential for wear. The most severe wear on most engines occurs at initial start up while the system is building up pressure. That's called dry starts. The engine creates friction at all times while it is running and the oil is the barrier to that. Oil deteriorates with time. It get contaminated with metals and chemicals from the combustion process. Also when oil is superheated, it turns to ash which when mixed with condensations forms sludge. This sludge can create barriers to good oil circulation. That's why it is vital to change oil on a frequent basis. It's probably the one thing that has the most bearing on how long that engine lasts. Synthetic oils have the ability to be more durable than petrolium oils, and so can be left in a little longer. The cost difference balances that ou though.

If I have been helpful in your question, please click on the accept button for MY answer to complete the transaction.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I'm wondering what the best way is to prevent wear from dry starts. The first answer said disconnect stuff and crank the engine for 5 minutes before you start it for real. To me, that sounds like a lot of wear, before you ever get the engine started.

I guess botXXXXX XXXXXne is keep the oil changed and that's all you can do.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Quote:
guess botXXXXX XXXXXne is keep the oil changed and that's all you can do.

That's the whole thing in a nut shell. Newer engines use lighter oil and quicker responding oil pumps to help with that.

Please use the accept button. You can leave the question open if you have any follow up questions.