Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

2000 chrysler voyager: horn..wipers..starter wont click..starter relay

Customer Question

2000 chrysler voyager. car died other night. everything on vehile works - lights, horn, radio, wipers, defrosters, blinkers - car will not turn over, starter wont click, starter relay doesnt click. When key is in on position, the only instrument lights that do not come onare the check engine light and the fuel light; all other 'idiot' lights are on. All fuses have been checked and the power control module (computer) has been replaced. I cant get a code out of it because the car isnt recognizing the computer. Any thoughts????
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
you mention having replaced the PCM and that the check engine light is not coming on for a bulb check; was the new PCM programmed to the vehicle?
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
also, what color is your ignition key?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
PCM was programmed for the vehicle and my key color is just a normal black plastic key, my key is a generic duplicate of my wife's key which is an original.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
Have you used this key to start the vehicle in the past? (in other words, it matches the color of your wife's key, and was not made right before the problem occurred?)
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
Can you tell me how the new PCM was programmed to the vehicle? This may be important...
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
the key has been used many times before
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
What engine is in the van?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: 2.4L 4 cyl. fuel inj
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Have you tried locking and unlocking the drivers side door with the key?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: did you even read my original message? my problem has nothung to do with my key or the door lock
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

That is how the security system in a Chrysler product is deactivated. After a battery goes dead the security system activates.

Yes I read your origanal thread I read them all.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
there is no security system in this van, it has no options other than a/c. no power windows/locks - nothing
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

oops I thought I might try to help but I'll just back off.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
I going to assume you changed the pcm or at least know where it is.There is a white wire with a black stripe going into terminal #20 at the pcm.You need to have 12 volts at that wire or the vehicle will not start and the check engine light will not come on.I think that is where you need to look first.If you don't have power there connect a fused 10 amp jumper wire between the battery and the back of that terminal with the wires still connected to the pcm.It may be hard to get into the connector so if it is you may wish to cut the wire for testing only and repair it with solder and heat shrink when done with the repair.You could hook up an inline fuse holder that way from any parts store.Try starting the van or check to see if the check engine light comes on before cranking it.If it starts we are making headway and will continue from there.If this helps please click on MY accept button.Alway be sure to accept the answer that helps you the most at Just Answer so the proper person gets credit.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Sorry about delay in posting, but I have solved the problem myself. After really meditating on all the symptoms, bypassing the starter solenoid and getting the starter to crank the engine with key in on position, I figured I had a bad electrical connection somewhere that was not allowing a signal to get to the ignition circuit. After folowing what seemed like miles of wiring harnesses, I found a wire that had been pinched between two plastic parts and had been compressed. Over time, the compressiion just broke the wire in two. After splicing and soldering the connection, I inserted my key and the van started right up. Thanks for all your great suggestions, but this problem has been solved - by me. Thanks again!