Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

Ford Focus will not go into any gear from park

Customer Question

Sitting and waiting for the light to change my A/C went completely dead. I turned the car off to see if it was a glich. When I turned off the car, I put it into park. I turned the car back on and the A/C didn't come back on and then the car would not go out off the park gear. I found the over-ride and used it to get home. The car still will not move from park without the over-ride switch and the A/C will not come on.
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
It sounds like a blown fuse so check them all.Also check to see if you have brake lights.If the switch,fuse or wiring for that circuit are bad the transmission won't come out of park.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: We looked at those this evening. All fuses and relays seem to be good. The lights both hi and low beam are not working also. The brake lights also are not working. The radio, and the parking lights do work, so does the inside dome light.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
You need to check the fuses with a test light to see if they have power available to them then.When testing do both sides of the fuse that will verify the fuse is good looking at a fuse doesn't always tell you its bad.The key should be on during testing and so should the circuit being tested.You either have a bad fuse/fuses a broken wire/melted fusible link or a bad ignition switch.You could have corrosion from water damage so look at the fuse box for that also.Check at the battery for good connections and corrosion and clean as needed.You could have a wire coming off battery positive that is broken inside the insulation.Make sure the ground from the battery to the body is clean and tight also.