Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1991 sunbird: what drives the oil pump, what is the book time..R&R

Customer Question

what drives the oil pump, what is the book time to R&R oN oil pump 1991 sunbird
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
It might help if we knew what engine.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: 2.0
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
have not done this before online so hope my answer went to you . 2.0 on the engine
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

There are two 2.0 engines. One is an overhead valve and the other is overhead cam.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1.8L, 2.0L and 2.2L OHV Engines

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. As outlined earlier, remove the engine oil pan.

3. Unfasten the pump to rear bearing cap bolt and remove the pump and extension shaft.

4. Remove the extension shaft and retainer.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Oil pump mounting - 1995 2.2L OHV engine shown

To install:

1. Heat the retainer in hot water prior to assembling the extension shaft.

2. Install the extension to the oil pump, being careful not to crack the retainer.

3. Fasten pump to rear bearing cap bolt and torque is 26-38 ft. lbs. (35-51 Nm).

4. Install the oil pan.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

1.8L and 2.0L OHC Engines

See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5

1. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.

2. Remove the timing belt rear covers.

3. Disconnect the oil pressure switch wires.

4. Remove the oil pan.

5. Remove the oil filter.

6. Unbolt and remove the oil pick-up tube and screen.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: View of the oil pick-up tube and screen, after the pan is removed

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Remove the oil pick-up tube, then ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: ... remove the screen assembly

1. Unbolt and remove the oil pump.

2. On the 2.0L engine, pry out the front oil seal.

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Exploded view of the oil pump - 1989 2.0L engine shown

1. Installation is the reverse of removal. Use new gaskets in all instances. On the 2.0L engine, install a new front seal using tool J33083 Seal Installer. Tighten the oil pump bolts to 60 inch lbs. (6.7 Nm). Install the bolts to the oil pan with Loctite® on the threads. Tighten the pan bolts to 48 inch lbs. (5.4 Nm), and the oil pickup tube bolts to 60 inch lbs. (6.7 Nm).

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: The answer I got was how to remove and install. My question is what drives the oil pump ( is not the cam and not the distributer )
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Yes it is driven by the distributor which is driven by the camshaft.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you much, very helpful
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
If my answer was helpful, please click on the accept button to complete the transaction