Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

Town Car: Lincoln..come loose..the accelerator bracket on the engine

Customer Question

Help! Re:   90 Lincoln, Town Car. My kickdown cable has come loose from the accelerator bracket on the engine. The plastic adjustment assembly is still on the cable, but whatever holds it on to the bracket is gone. Can you please tell me the part I need; and a provide me with a diagram of the assembly.

Many Thanks,
M. Varca, CIO [email protected]
www.Customer.org
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

It sounds like a broken cable, but it is kind of difficult to tell from the descroption; here is the only illustration I can locate of the linkage, as well as an operational description:

Components
The Throttle Valve (TV) control cable system consists of a cable attaching grommet on the throttle body throttle lever, the TV control cable assembly, the external TV control lever on the transmission, and the cable mounting brackets at the throttle body and transmission.

Operation
As the throttle is moved from idle to Wide-Open Throttle (WOT) , the TV control cable pulls the transmission TV control lever from idle to WOT. Return of the cable and transmission lever toward idle is accomplished by the return spring on the transmission end of the cable assembly. This spring and the end of the cable assembly is protected by a flexible rubber boot. The transmission external TV control lever actuates the internal TV control mechanism which regulates the TV control pressure. The travel of this lever is controlled by stops internal to the transmission.

TV Control Cable
The TV control cable is set and locked to its proper length during initial assembly when the grooved pin on the upper end of the cable assembly is inserted in the grommet on the throttle body lever. To release the cable locking mechanism, it is necessary to pry the grooved pin out of the grommet and push out the white locking pin. The take-up spring at the end of the cable assembly tensions the cable and takes up the slack in the system. When the grooved pin is reinserted in the grommet, the white locking tab is pushed in, automatically locking the cable to its correct length. When the cable is locked, the take-up spring plays no part in the operation of the system.

Situations Requiring Readjustment
Under normal circumstances, it should not be necessary to alter or readjust the initial setting of the TV control cable. Situations requiring readjustment of the TV control cable include maintenance involving the removal and/or replacement of the throttle body, transmission, TV cable assembly, or installing a new main control assembly. Readjustment of the TV control cable would also be necessary to correct complaints of poor transmission shift quality that would have been caused by a misadjustment of the TV control cable.

When the TV control cable is properly set, the transmission TV control lever will be at its internal idle stop (lever to rear as far as it will travel) when the throttle lever is at its idle stop.

Idle Speed Affect on TV Control Cable
The Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection (SEFI) engine uses an air bypass type Idle Speed Control (ISC) that does not affect throttle position. Therefore, idle automatic setting does not affect TV cable adjustment.

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

After repair, if you naed to adjust the cable, here is the adjustment procedure:

ADJUST THROTTLE VALVE CONTROL CABLE

1. Set parking brake and place shift selector in Neutral position.
  2. Remove air cleaner cover and inlet tube from throttle body inlet.
  3. Using a wide blade screwdriver, pry grooved pin on cable assembly out of grommet on throttle body lever.
  4. Using small screwdriver push out white locking tab. Ensure plastic block with pin and tab slides freely on notched rod. if it does not slide freely, the white tab may not be pushed out far enough.
  5. while holding throttle lever firmly against its idle stop, push grooved pin into grommet on throttle lever as far as it will go. While pushing pin into grommet, do not move throttle lever away from idle stop.
  6. Install air cleaner cover and air inlet tube

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Steve:

Thank you for your answer. But, it does not tell me how the TV (Kickdown) cable attaches to the linkage plate and what parts I am missing. The cable is good.

The diag. View Y, shows a cable adjuster plastic block: Mine is off the linkage bracket that also mounts the throttle cable. My question is: What holds the TV cable adjuster plastic block to the linkage bracket? There is just a short plastic shaft about 1/4 in, OD dia and 1/4 inch long; and the hole in the metal linkage bracket is about 3/8 in ID. How does this assembly mount to the metal bracket? And what mounting or fastener
part(s) do I need?

Thanks,
Mark
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

Mark;

I am afraid that the illustrations i posted are all that is in teh service manual for this car (I know how frustrating that is, working with htese every day). I used to think it was jsut what Ford made available to us aftermarket techs, but after having an opportunity to see what the parts dept guys in the dealer work with, it is often not any better!

In my past experience with Ford products in general, I have found that they rely heavily on snap together linkage parts whenever possible, probably to save on assembly and small parts costs. I suspect that the broken part you have is just a piece of the part in the illustration, if you look around carefully down below that location there is a remote possibility that you may find some more pieces to the puzzle.

Another thing to keep in mind is that very often ssmall parts such as these are not available separately, unless they are a high failure item, in which case a redesigned part may be available to supercede the original design. Often the only way to purchase small pieces is as an assembly or part of a service pack for the repair. In any case, the only source for parts of this type is going to be the Ford/ Lincoln dealer.

When faced with similiar dilemmas at work, they are usually very easily solved by contacting the parts dept at the dealer. These guys deal with this stuff every day, and will very likely know just what component you are describing; if you can drive the vehicle in and show them the damaged part, even better. Most parts of this type are routinely available within 24 hrs; they have a great service parts system!

If you cant visit in person, what I routinely do is call the parts dept guys, and fax them an illustration such as I posted for you, with the broken part circled in the picture. I have found through experience that this eliminates 95% of the confusion in the process.

If I should come across any more information, or a better illustration, I will surely post it for you.

Good luck!

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
PS: If you know for sure that the broken part is the cable adjuster in the illustration, then just order the adjuster and specify that you also want any related fasteners included. When the new undamaged one comes, it will probably be obvious how it all fits together.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Steve:

That much I knew already. I was hoping for a part(s) discription or numbers, and to see what they looked like for possible fabrication.

Mark
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

The only place that such information *might* be available would be from a ford dealer's online service parts catalogueing; it is not something that is likely to be found in any repair database or manual...

As I stated in my previous post, the parts catalog illustrations from the manufacturer are usually very siimiliar to the one I posted and show little detail.

Just wondering, why you would want to attempt to fabricate what is probably a $5 part that should be readily available overnight, even if part a small parts service kit? Your time is valuable, you know, and the likelihood of being able to precision manufacture such a small component to the point where it would perform the same as an original is kind of iffy...

I am sure that te counter guy at your closest Ford dealer will be able to very quickly identify and price for you the part you need; if you dont like the price then you aren't under any obligation to buy it.

Injection molded little plastic parts are usually cheap! <smile>