jims
jims, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  10 yrs combined mechanical experiance
165359

1991 buick riviera: the heater core replaced and i..starters

Customer Question

i have a 1991 buick riviera that needs the heater core replaced and i am a rookie repair guy so i need some tips like for starters do i have to take the dash out to do it?
Category: Car
Expert:  jims replied 11 years ago.

1. Fig. 17 Programmer Mounting Bolt Locations

Disarm airbag as outlined under MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES/AIRBAG DEACTIVATION . Failure to do so may result in accidental deployment of airbag, possibly causing personal injury.
  2. Disconnect negative battery cable, then drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove four upper retaining screws from instrument panel cluster trim plate, then pull trim plate from retaining clips.
  4. Remove four cluster retaining screws, disconnect electrical connectors, then remove cluster.
  5. Remove two headlamp switch assembly screws, then the switch assembly.
  6. Remove four retaining screws, then the electrical connector and climate control head from vehicle.
  7. Remove retaining screws, then the radio from vehicle.
  8. Remove console trim plate retaining screws, then the trim plates.
  9. Remove compact disc player, if equipped.
  10. Remove front console storage compartments, then the sound insulators.
  11. Remove knee bolster, the steering column reinforcement plate, then the glove box.
  12. Remove instrument panel upper trim pad.
  13. Remove lower-left retaining bolt, retaining screws, then the hood release assembly.
  14. Remove two retaining screws, then the center instrument panel brace.
  15. Remove the instrument panel to dash connector.
  16. Remove steering column, then the screw above the steering column.
  17. Remove the lower-right retaining bolt, three upper retaining screws, electrical connectors, then the instrument panel from vehicle.
  18. Remove the electrical connectors, then the programmer from vehicle, FIG. 17.
  19. Remove the electrical connectors, then the BCM and mounting bracket from vehicle.
  20. Remove the electrical connectors, then the ECM and mounting bracket from vehicle.
  21. Remove heater core from housing, then the hoses from heater core.
  22. Remove two heater retaining screws, then the heater core from vehicle.
  23. Reverse procedure to install noting the following:

1. After all work has been completed, rearm airbag as outlined under MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES/AIRBAG ACTIVATION
jims, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 10 yrs combined mechanical experiance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jims's Post: the disarming of the airbag picture was blocked so to avoid injury i would like to try to look at it again
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

It wasn't blocked it is of the wrong language to upload to this sight.I will see if I can help you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: i would appreciate that for i cant start the job until I know how to disarm the airbag to avoid injury and damage to my dash
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jims's Post: I appreciate the help and was wondering if anyone can help me out with making sense of the picture problem on the airbag disarming picture thank you
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i dont see any other comments on this marc
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

The best i can do for you is upload directions for bonnivlle-park ave- Le Sabre
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
please please anyone the daylight is going quickly and i am getting really discouraged i really need to get this job done sometime this weekend so any comments will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
lol well thanks marc but all i need is to know how and where i disarm the airbag i appreciate your concern
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

DISARMING THE IR SYSTEM

Proper and safe operation requires the sensor, brackets and wiring to be installed in the exact locations of design. The information provided is to help you understand the system and disarm the system if other non-air bag system service are to be performed. Before beginning the disabling procedure, read all service precautions.

1. Turn the steering wheel so wheels are facing straight ahead and turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position. Remove the key from the ignition.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable and tape the end of cable to avoid possible terminal contact.

To avoid personal injury, wait at least 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery cable before servicing the IR system on 1987-91 Delta 88/Eighty Eight models. Servicing the IR system during that period of time may result in personal injury.

1. Remove the IR fuse from the fuse block.

2. Remove the left side sound insulator and lamp.

3. Disconnect the IR inflator connector from the base of the steering column.

4. If necessary, connect the negative battery cable. The system is now safe for servicing.

ENABLING THE SYSTEM

Before beginning the enabling procedure, read all service precautions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and tape the end of cable to avoid possible terminal contact. Remove the IR fuse.

2. Reconnect the IR inflator connector at the base of the steering column, if disconnected.

3. Install the sound insulator and lamp, if removed.

4. Install the IR fuse and connect the battery cable.

5. DISARMING THE SIR SYSTEM

See Figures 12, 13, 13, 14, 15 and 16

Proper and safe operation requires the sensor, brackets and wiring to be installed in the exact locations of design. All components service must be exactly aligned and tighten to exact torque specification. It is not advisable to service the air bag system. The information provided is to help you understand the system and disarm the system if other non-air bag system service are to be performed.

Before beginning the disarming procedure, read all service precautions.

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position, remove the key, then disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Wrap the end of the battery cable with tape to avoid possible terminal contact.

3. Remove the AIRBAG fuse (fuse #7 for 1992-93 vehicles, or #1C for 1994-99 vehicles) from the fuse block.

With the AIRBAG fuse removed and the ignition in the

RUN position, the AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is a normal operation and does not indicate a system malfunction.

1. Remove the left side sound insulator/steering column filler panel and courtesy lamp, as needed.

2. Remove the Connector Positive Assurance (CPA) lockpin on the yellow 2-way connector at the base of the steering column.

3. Unplug the yellow 2-way SIR connector, located near the base of the steering column.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 12: Location of the driver's side SIR 2-way connector - 1987-93 vehicles

1. If equipped with a passenger side air bag, remove the right side instrument panel sound insulator to access the connector. Remove the CPA lockpin, then unplug the yellow 2-way passenger inflator module connector. The connector is located at the base of the right side instrument panel, clipped to the knee bolster (tie bar and steering column filler).

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 13: Location of the passenger's side SIR connector - 1993 vehicle shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 14: Location of the passenger's side 2-way connector - 1994-99 Oldsmobile shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 15: Passenger's side SIR connector location - 1994-99 Buick shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 16: Location of the 1994-99 Pontiac passenger's side SIR connector

1. If necessary, connect the negative battery cable. The system can now be safely serviced.

ENABLING THE SYSTEM

1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the LOCK position, then remove the key from the ignition.

2. If not already done, disconnect the negative battery cable and tape the end of cable to avoid possible terminal contact.

3. If equipped with a passenger's side air bag, attach the yellow 2-way connector and the CA to the inflatable restraint instrument panel module pigtail. Install the right side instrument panel sound insulator.

4. Reconnect the SIR 2-way yellow connector at the base of the steering column. Reinstall the CPA lockpin on the yellow connector.

5. Install the left side sound insulator/steering column filler panel and lamp, if removed.

6. Install the SIR fuse in the fuse panel.

7. Connect the battery cable.

8. Staying well away from both air bags, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and check that the INFLATABLE RESTRAINT/AIR BAG lamp flashes 7-9 times and then goes out.

9. That's all I got!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: marc your the man thank you very much ill let you how it goes    thank you again
Expert:  jims replied 11 years ago.
I hope marks post helped, I was busy please give him credit if that helped you we are all here to help!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jims's Post: it went decent i just took the fuse out for the sir and started taking it apart which was a pain but it went back together easier so thanks to you and marc
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Marc is the one that gave you the info you needed. You should be accepting his answer.