Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

98 honda civic: differential..clutch..a grinding/clicking sound..rpm

i have a 98 honda civic with an engine swap and a limited slip differential,with lightened flywheel and 6 puck clutch. i hear a grinding/clicking sound when i drive in all directions (left,right,fwd, rear) is not affected by rpm but is affected by speed and it doesnt matter what gear i am in.

A cliclking sound, especially on turns, is usually caused by a worn outer CV joint. it will be affected by vehicle speed, but not engine speed. Another thing to check might be to make sure that both axles are fully seated in the transmission.

If you ahve a worn outer CV joint, you can sometimes feel movement in the joint if you hold the axle in one hand and the houusing in the other, and twist them in different directions; any movement indicates it is worn and should be replaced. The joints should also turn smoothly with no binding.

You will probably find that replacing the entire axle assembly (one on each side) is cheaper and quicker than replacing just one joint; you can buy pretty good quality reman axle assemblies for most vehicles for less than $100 nowadays.
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: the boots arent torn or ripped, i recently had the half shaft rebuilt to suit my swap, and how would i check the clearace to enusre proper seating against the tranny??
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: how do i check the clearance to ensure proper seating against my tranny??
Just look at the inner joint where it slides into teh transmission; it should look like it is seated fully (compare the 2 sides). I doubt if one has not seated, because it would have probably damaged the transmission output shaft by now, but it doenst hurt to check. You chould not be able to grab the inner joint housing and pull it easily out of the transmission with the axle installed; if it slides easily back and forth something is not correct...