jims
jims, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  10 yrs combined mechanical experiance
165359

How do I replace the key ignition on a 2003 chrysler town and country

Customer Question

how do I replace the key ignition on a 2003 chrysler town and country
Category: Car
Expert:  jims replied 11 years ago.
Disconnect negative (ground) cable from the battery and isolate cable from battery terminal.

Remove the screws attaching the lower steering column cover to the instrument panel, then remove the cover from the lower instrument panel.

Remove the parking brake release cable from the parking brake release lever, then move the lower steering column cover out of the way.

Remove the 10 bolts attaching the lower steering column cover liner to the instrument panel, then remove the lower steering column cover liner.

Remove the 3 screws attaching the upper and lower shrouds to the steering column, then separate and remove both shrouds.
Remove the trim bezel on the instrument panel above the steering column. The trim bezel is mounted to the instrument panel using 2 screws (one on each side of the column) and retaining clips.

Remove the 2 screws securing the steering column fixed shroud to the steering column, then remove the shroud.

Remove the two screws holding the metal cover in place below the shifter/ignition interlock linkage, then remove the cover.

Disconnect the shifter/ignition interlock link from the lever on the lock cylinder housing.
Remove the key cylinder. To do this:
Turn the key placing the key cylinder in the ON position.

Depress and hold the retaining tab on the bottom of the lock cylinder housing.
Pull the key cylinder straight out of the lock cylinder housing.

Remove the vehicle wiring harness connector from the key cylinder halo lamp.
Remove the key cylinder halo lamp from the lock cylinder housing.

Remove the ignition switch mounting screw

Depress the two retaining tabs, then remove the ignition switch from the lock cylinder housing.

Disconnect both tilt mechanism springs from their mounting posts on the tilt housing, then move them to the side out of the way.
While supporting the lock cylinder housing, remove both mounting screws securing the lock cylinder housing to the column.
Remove the lock cylinder housing from the bottom of the steering column.
INSTALLATION

Install the lock cylinder housing in the bottom of the steering column lining up the mounting holes.
Install the self-tapping lock cylinder housing mounting screws through the top of the column into the housing. Tighten the two mounting screws to a torque of 11 Nm (100 inch lbs.) .
Connect both tilt mechanism springs back onto their mounting posts making sure the spring hooks engage the grooves in the posts.
Ensure that the ignition switch and the actuator shaft in the lock cylinder housing are in the ON position.

Carefully install the ignition switch over the actuator shaft. The switch will snap over the retaining tabs on the housing.
Install the ignition switch mounting screw.
Install the key cylinder halo lamp on the lock cylinder housing.
Install the vehicle wiring harness connector onto the key cylinder halo lamp.
Install the key cylinder (with key in it turned to the ON position) by sliding it straight into the lock cylinder housing aligning the retaining tab on the key cylinder with the hole in the lock cylinder housing.
Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key.
Connect the shifter/ignition interlock link to the lever on the lock cylinder housing by aligning the retaining tab on the lever with the ramp on the link , then pushing the two together.
Install the metal cover in place below the shifter/ignition interlock linkage using the two screws.
Install the steering column fixed shroud on the steering column. using its 2 mounting screws.
Install the trim bezel on the instrument panel above the steering column. The trim bezel is mounted to the instrument panel using 2 screws (one on each side of the column) and retaining clips.
Install the lower steering column shroud on the steering column. Install and securely tighten the center screw attaching the lower shroud to the tilt head on the column.
Install the upper steering column shroud over the tilt head of the steering column snapping it into place on the lower shroud. Install and securely tighten the 2 remaining screws attaching the upper shroud to the lower shroud.
Install the steering column cover liner on the instrument panel below the steering column. Install and securely tighten the 10 bolts attaching the steering column cover liner to the instrument panel.
Install the parking brake pedal release cable on the parking brake release lever in the lower steering column cover.
Install the lower steering column trim cover on the instrument panel below the steering column. Install and securely the screws attaching the lower steering column cover to the instrument panel.
Connect the negative (ground) cable on the battery terminal.