Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

94 cougar: wher is the small starter relay located..hood..fire wall

Customer Question

on a 94 cougar xr7 wher is the small starter relay located under the uner the hood. everyone says behind battery on fire wall   not there. if it has one? they say it does but where. i have problem with startibf on get click. have new starter. any help would be appreciated
thank you very much
jerry s.
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
 It is called a "start interrupt relay" and is located on the LH fender apron under the hood
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
 although i do not have the ability to paste images, it is shown on a locator image about 2/3 of teh way from the firewall to the front of the car, on the inside of the driver's side fender.   This would put it about even with the space between the engine and the radiator, where the fan is.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
   Just in case you determine that the interrupt rlay is not the cause of your problem, you may want to be aware that corrosion of teh small wire attaching to teh starter solenoid is often a cause of teh symptoms you describe.   Ford has issued a TSB dealing with this problem, as well as an inexpensive connector repair kit that most dealers  have in stock:

NO CRANK - POSSIBLE CORROSION AT STARTER SOLENOID - VEHICLES WITH 3.0L AND 3.8L ENGINES

FORD:
1992-95 TAURUS, THUNDERBIRD

LINCOLN-MERCURY:
1992-94 CONTINENTAL
1992-95 COUGAR, SABLE

LIGHT TRUCK:
1996 WINDSTAR

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit a "No-Crank" condition due to corrosion at the starter solenoid connector.

ACTION:
Replace the corroded connector with a service wiring and connector assembly. Applying di-electric grease, along with replacing the wiring and service connector, to the terminal connector will aid in corrosion protection.

DETAILED SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.
Disconnect negative battery cable.

2.
Disconnect the christmas tree retainer retaining wire takeout.

3.
Remove the connector from the solenoid by firmly grasping the connector and pressing the external detent release (if so equipped) and pulling. Refer to Figure 1.

CAUTION: DO NOT PULL ON THE WIRE BECAUSE THIS WILL DAMAGE THE TERMINAL.

4.
DO NOT SAND OR FILE THE TERMINAL. Brush Di-Electric Grease (D7AZ-19A331-A, or equivalent) onto the terminal. Refer to Figure 1.

5.
Using scissors, carefully cut the protective sleeving 4" (100 mm) back from the connector.

6.
Push sleeving back and cut wire 8" (200 mm) back from the connector end.

7.
Strip wire 5/16" (8 mm).

8.
Insert wire into butt connector of Service Wire and Connector Assembly (F4VY-14A411-A) and crimp using tool for pro-insulated crimps.

9.
Heat splice with heat gun until tubing shrinks and adhesive flows from each end.

10.
Pull sleeving back over the splice and up to the back of the connector.

11.
Fully tape over the slit and wire up to the back of the connector.

12.
Replace harness retainer and tape it 61, (150 mm) from the end of the connector.

13.
Assemble connector to starter. Insert harness retainer into floating hole on battery cable.

14.
Install negative battery cable.

PART NUMBER                PART NAME              CLASS

F4VY-14A411-A    Wiring And Connector Assembly      AG
D7AZ-19A331-A Di-Electric Grease AM

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: 94-18-3
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION    DESCRIPTION                     TIME
942603A Install Wiring And 0.6 Hr.
Connector Assembly

DEALER CODING 
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
14A411 X4

OASIS CODES: 201000, 201100, 203200, 601300

Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: this area you talk about i have looked around there a couple of times i just removed the battery to look this problem sontimes goes away
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
did you get my reply to your answer
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
 The start interrupt relay is used by teh vehicle anti-theft system to interrupt power to teh starter solenoid if the alarm is triggered.  If you do not have an factory anti-theft system, then you may not ahve this relay on your vehicle.   It is the only relay showing on the wiring schematic other than the starter solenoid itself...
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i do not have a factory alarm. so maybe i do not have this relay. i son's put a new starter and solenoid. iot did not fix it i quess i will hace to try something else. thank you verymuch for your help. if you have any other idea let me know. again thanks for the good effort.

jerry s.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

If the vehicle is not cranking, you need to check teh following to find the cause:

(1) Use a DVOM to verify that there is less than .1 volt difference between the voltage measures across teh battery terminals and the voltage measured at the battery connection at the starter solenoid; Ford vehicles are not very tolerant of voltage drop in the starter circuit.

(2) If you are receiving no click or anything when trying to start the car, take a voltage measurement at the small wire on teh starter solenoid when the key is in teh Start position.   You should show within .1 volt of full battery voltage here as well.   This wire leads to the neutral safety switch, and from there back upwards to the ignition switch.   if there is not power here the starter will not turn on.    If there is no power here, you need to start checking backwards in teh circuit to see where it is being lost; that will be the source of your problem.

If you want to do a quick test of the starter, just jump battery power directly to this small terminal; if the battery connections and starter are OK this will make the vehicle crank.

As noted in teh Ford TSB I provided you, failures of teh connector that attaches to the starter solenioid are extremely common, and will cause the symptom you are describing...

If you need any further help, please do not hesitate to ask!  I want to help you fix your car...