Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1989 Dodge caravan: the water pump and timing belt..spark plugs

Customer Question

1989 Dodge caravan: I just replaced the water pump and timing belt, spark plugs distributer. The timing is right on, but the engine turns over butwont start. what am I missing?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Which engine?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: 3.0 litre
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Did you go back and look over your work real good? look for any wires that may be unplugged of if any plugs went in hard, you may have bent the blades over. You need to determine iof you have spark and fuel pressure. You can find out if your getting injecter pulse from the computer with a noid light (shown below). Check your firing order if you removed the cap or any wires. Once you know what function your lacking, you can narrow down the problem.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: no help at all. I did all that. please refund
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 OK, so what were the results? I gave you a systematic way to isolate where the failure is. If you think somebody has a magic wand and can just throw the answer out there, it doesn't work that way. Now do you have spark, injecter pulse and what is the fuel pressure?  
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Tech 501 is trying to help you but he needs to know certain things to get to the bottom of your problem. we help many people every day in this manner
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Weve checked every 3 times replaced all plugs and plug wires, water pump, timing belt, the timing is right on. We also did a compression test (compression on all cylinders is correct. We removed the valve covers and physically examined valves, valve stems, valve springs, cams, and rocker arms. Also checked all the fuses. Were just baffled (and pissed off).
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Weve checked every wire and connection 3 times, replaced all plugs and plug wires, water pump, timing belt, the timing is right on. We also did a compression test (compression on all cylinders is correct. We removed the valve covers and physically examined valves, valve stems, valve springs, cams, and rocker arms. Also checked all the fuses. Were just baffled (and pissed off).
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

You still haven't told us the basic answers

1. Do you have spark at the plug end of the wire?

2. Do you have injecter pulses checked with a noid light?

3. Do you have correct fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Yes, yes, and yes.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Just in case you need to know, its an interference engine.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
  That has dual overhead cam?  Did the timing belt break?

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Just what was the fuel pressure anyway?  

Quote:

Since you already know that, have you taken a compression test to determine if you damaged anything?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: yes to both
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Yes, and there was no damage I could see, and compression was 185
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

each and every cylinder had a 185 psi?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
yes, exactly 185 believe it or not. I was also thinking maybe there was some sensor i need to reset or replace.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Maybe its time for the BFH!
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
  I can't find a listing for a caravan with a duel overhead cam 3 liter.  

Then you'll have some bent valves with a BFH
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Sorry, theyre not DOHC.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: VIN# XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Well, if that is true and you checked everything you said you did, that engine runs.....
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No, it really doesnt. I dont get it, either.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

what the fuel pressure reading?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: Im not sure exactly what it was, but it shot out really hard when we checked it before the test
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hard as we tried and rechecked everything, we must have missed something stupid. Maybe you could point out some common errors.By the way, thank you for your help. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
Rediculous, huh?
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

Maybe bad fuel. Have you taken a fuel sample?

Diagram edited out.

Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

The first diagram did not match firing order

1989 Dodge Caravan
3.0 liter SOHC V-6 VIN "3"

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Your homepage states that if you`re not satisfied with the answers you get to ask for a refund. Im asking.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

[Quote]Your homepage states that if you`re not satisfied with the answers you get to ask for a refund. Im asking.[/quote] You need to state this in the tech support category