Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

1996 olds achieva: intermittant..security light flashes-replaced..gm

1996 olds achieva-intermittant no start-security light flashes-replaced ignition lock cylinder-due to past troubles similar vehicles-no change-sent out dash cluster-had checked by gm dash repair company-they replaced internal security components-performed relearn procedures-code resets bad r code?? codes bo1012 & bo1027 shuts fuel down when security light flashes?

I do not find any B series codes listed in the diagnostic information for this vehicle.    To try to determine the cause of teh data loss resulting in the no-start condition, you will ened to use a Tech-1 or Tech-2 GM scan tool to retrieve IPC and PCM codes.    I am not aware of any aftermarket scan tools that have IPC capability (although there may be some out there, but as far as I am aware GM does not licence IPC access to aftermarket manufacturers).

If you can clear memory, duplicate the Passlock failure, and retrieve any newly generated passlock related codes, I can try to find a diagnostic procedure relevant to the code generated.   As near as I can determine from the service information, there is no separate body controller on this model so tehre should be no B codes; I'm not sure where you are retrieving these from...    IPC codes will be 2 digits, and powertrain codes will be P-series.

Also, and U-codes generated may be relevant, if present; these would be related to network buss communication errors...

Here is what I was able to find as far as operational description of teh system, maybe something in the system description may be useful to you...

PASSLOCK SYSTEM
The PASSLOCK System is designed to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless the PASSLOCK Lock Cylinder is correctly engaged by a mechanical key. This system is similar in concept to the PASSKEY System: however, PASSLOCK eliminates the need for a key mounted resistor pellet. The components of this system are as follows: PASSLOCK Lock Cylinder, Ignition Switch, Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) , and Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

SYSTEM OPERATION
The PASSLOCK System is designed to prevent vehicle operation if the mechanical key is not used to start the vehicle. The mechanical key, in normal operation, will turn the PASSLOCK Lock Cylinder. The PASSLOCK Lock Cylinder will relay a Resistance Code (R-Code) to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) . The IPC will determine the validity of the R-Code within a preset time window started from an ignition Switch input and will send a coded password XXXXX the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) . When the PCM receives the correct code, it will allow the fuel injectors to operate normally.

The Vehicle Theft Deterrent's logic is contained within the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). The IPC will read an Resistance Code (R-Code) from the PASSLOCK Lock Cylinder within a certain timing window. If the R-Code is correct and within the timed window, the IPC will PASS THEFT and will transmit it's coded password XXXXX the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). There are two ways the IPC may enter a theft mode; a bad timing cycle, or a bad R-Code.

If the R-Code is not read within the window, the Vehicle Theft Deterrent will go into a SHORT TAMPER MODE during which the it will not allow the car to operate for four (4) seconds and the telltale will flash. After three (3) consecutive failed timings, the Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) will go into it's LONG TAMPER MODE. In this mode, the telltale will flash and the fuel injectors will be shut off for approximately ten (10) minutes. Please note, before ANY TAMPER MODE , the vehicle may start; however, the car will quickly stall. If the IPC receives the wrong R-Code, the VTD will immediately go into it's LONG TAMPER MODE in which the vehicle's fuel injection will be locked-out for ten (10) minutes as described above.

The THEFT SYSTEM Telltale will flash while the VTD is in ANY TAMPER MODE. The IPC continually checks the operation of the VTD during the operation of the vehicle. If the THEFT SYSTEM Telltale lights continuously during vehicle operation, refer to the Vehicle Theft Deterrent's SYSTEM DIAGNOSIS. See: Testing and Inspection\Flow of Diagnosis

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) communicates with the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) via serial data over the Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter (UART) SERIAL DATA BUS, CKT 800. When the IPC has determined a PASSED-THEFT condition, it sends a coded password XXXXX the PCM. Upon receipt of the correct password, the PCM enables the fuel injection system, allowing the vehicle to operate correctly. Please note, the PCM may allow the car to start and quickly stall during a FAILED-THEFT condition.

There are two ways the PCM may enter a TAMPER MODE; a bad timing cycle or an incorrect password. If a password XXXXX XXXXX received from the IPC within a preset time window, the PCM will enter a SHORT TAMPER MODE during which the PCM will not allow the car to operate for four (4) seconds. If the password XXXXX XXXXX the PCM will enter the LONG TAMPER MODE. In this mode, telltale will flash and the fuel injectors will be shut off for approximately ten (10) minutes. Again, the vehicle may start, but the engine will quickly stall due to fuel cut-off.

In the event of an open in serial data between the IPC and the PCM, the PCM will become fail-enabled if the car has already passed theft for that ignition cycle (i.e. the engine is running). In this event. the THEFT SYSTEM telltale will light continuously and the PCM will become fail-enabled for future ignition cycles. If a failure in serial data occurs before the ignition cycle, when the PCM is not fail-enabled, the PCM will never receive a valid password XXXXX enable continued use of the fuel injectors

Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician

Note: If it is a very intermittent condition, and difficult to duplicate, I ahve found in past experience that 90% of the time it is a failing passlock sensor (ignition switch).    If teh lock cylinder fails (you mention replacing this) it will cause teh key to not turn in the ignition switch.  The lock cylinder is not part of teh passlock system; the passlock components are a pair of magnets rotated by teh key and a pickup assembly that are integral with the electrical portion of the ignition switch.  If you cannot identify the problem and the vehicle is unreliable, I would suggest replacing the passlock sensor (ignition switch) early in the process.   When you do this, you will need to perform a relearn procedure to allow the vehicle to start.  This relearn procedure takes approximately 10 minutes.

PASSLOCK REPROGRAMMING AUTO LEARN

IMPORTANT: Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair.

You must perform a theft relearn procedure if any of the following components have been replaced:

• Passlock Sensor
  • Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
  • Powertrain control module (PCM) The above modules, with the exception for the Passlock Sensor must also be programmed with each module's own vehicle configuration.

AUTO LEARN
Time required, approximately 10 minutes:

1. Insure that the battery is fully charged.
  2. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
  3. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
  4. Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
  5. When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.
  6. The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i may have been wrong about the 1012 & 1027 codes until i can get back to shop tommorow & verify-we do have tech 2 scanner-vetronix co.-suspect defective lock cylinder-since it was changed-no change in symtoms??