Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

I have a 2001 Pont. Grand am. No start, security system problem.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Pont. Grand am. No start, security system problem. Can I bypass it. Disconnect it. I don't simply mean install a remote start Bypapss. That won't work. Can I disconnect the malfuntioning passlock 2 anti-thieft system so my car will start?
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.

No you can't just disconnect it.It consists of 3 modules 2 of them communicate with each other.If any components are replaced a GM tech 2 scan tool is required to program them and do theft deterrent relearn procedure.If this is not followed the system will not function properly.There are specific codes and data that could help lead to a proper diagnosis without changing all 3 modules.You would need a tech 2 scan tool to access that info.Please click on my accept button after viewing your answer.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I should have worded my question a little better. I have been told already by the local dealership that it cannot be bypassed, however car theives can steal it in less than 60 seconds. Somehow they know how to disable it. I am sorry but just being told it can't be done, except to diagnose and replace everything is not what I'am looking for. I will gladly pay anyone that can explain how to fix it. I already knew I could take it to a GM dealership and have it fixed for several hundred dollars.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You could also go purchase $10,000 worth of scanner and equipment and we could tell you how to hook it up for $40.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 I don't know where you came up with the thief stealing it in 60 seconds but that is 100% untrue without having the vehicles ignition key.Unless you mean they are putting it on a tow truck to steal it.I will not attempt to explain how the system works because you may not understand but busting out the lock cylinder on a passlock system to turn the cylinder will not work.There are 2 distinct circuits in the passkey module that will not allow that without the proper key.You can not fix the car without a GM Tech 2 scan tool and a GM TIS able computer. By the way you have to be a GM dealer to get TIS on a computer. 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: After working for years for the Flordia Dept. of Law enforcement I can assure you the car can and is stold all the time without the keys being left in the ignition or being hauled away on a flat bed.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: That would sort of defeat the purpose of this forum. If the only answers to the automotive questions is By a Dealership Technician to say (it can only be fixed if to bring it to the dealer)well I guess I'll keep looking.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Quote[I will gladly pay anyone that can explain how to fix it.]I did explain how to fix it.Bypassing any automotive system is not fixing it.If you wish to know how to steal the car please accept this question about fixing it and ask another about the intended theft.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 If in fact you had worked for the Florida law enforcement community you would already have the answer you think exists.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Quote:

The forum is to give advice. In your case the advice is that your particular problem requires some expensive and sophisticated equipment and a highly trained technician to opereate it. The magic wand won't work here.