Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1999 Dodge durango: speedometer..stops working..speedo..speed sensor?

The speedometer in my 1999 Dodge Durango stoped working and when it stops working my abs light and brake light turn on. Sometimes while driving the speedo will start working and the ABS and brake light will turn off? Where is the speed sensor? Could this be the cause?
 You have an intermittantly failing speed sensor. That vehicle has 2, one in the trans tailshaft and one in the differential. It can be either one so I generally change both of them.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I see the one in the transmission where is the one in the differential?
 You should see something with electrical connections usually right in the top of the differential. It's possible yours doesn't have that one but most do.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I replaced the speed sensor and still have no joy. Any other ideas where to look. I looked on the rear dif and don't see another speed sensor.
 I'll research it today.
 I have a picture I'll scan in  for you this evening.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
So, here is where I am at. I put the Truck up on a lift and found the rear speed sensor. I pulled it out cleaned it up and put it back in. I called the Dodge dealership and they said there is (3) speed sensors. One input into the trans one out put from the trans and the one on the rear dif. The truck is shifting properly so I would like to think the two front one are working properly. Is there any way to test the rear sensor prior to replacing it? It's $60 bucks as opesed to the cheap $17 one I already replaced. Any help is much apreaciated. Joe
 Only if you have a high grade scanner or a lab scope. Any sensor measuring input to the trans would not be for vehicle speed. The gear changes take place after that. The data that I posted specifically states that the  "speed and distance covered are measured by the rear sensor"
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I got that rear speed sensor and installed it and presto it fixed it. Brake light whent out and my spedeo is working. Thnaks for the help.
Your welcome.