Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1994 grand am: head gasket..run Hot..car runs fine..water pump

1994 grand am quard 4can a head or head gasket be put on back wards causing the car to run Hot / over heat with a thermastat in ? the car runs fine WITHOUT a thermstat ? the car has new raitor water pump thermastat new head new head gasket   Any ideas   what is causing this car to over heat   
 No, it's not very likely that the head gasket is wrong. It's more likely that the original problem that caused the head gasket failure in the first place is still there. You can't continue to run the engine without a thermostat because that will mess up the computer and prevent it from going into closed loop. My best guess is that the radiator doesn't have the capacity to cool any more and needs replacing although that's not the only possibility.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: thank you for your answer    the radiator is new out of the box   and other things we can check on beside water pump thermastat ?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
 Make sure the thermostat was installed facing the right direction. If I remember right, it faces down. not up on that engine. The small end has to point toward the radiator.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: yeah it   was facing the right way   
 How cool does the engine run without the T-stat and for how long?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: it has been driven for 30 minutes at thr longest and it hasn't over heated or got close to runing hot it runs very well without the T-stat it's my understanding that a T-stat is needed during the colder months   the fan is runing no problem there thank you for you help
 No, the thermostat is needed at all times. It will mess up the computer controls and prevent it from going into closed loop. By all indications, you problem was with the thermostat. It's not unusual for a thermostat to have a hard time opening the first time due to air pockets and not enough coolant reaching it. I would install another thermostat, paying close attention to the direction it is facing and try to get the system bleed out completely. If it gets hot the first time, shut it off, let it cool a few minutes and restart it. Usually the stat will open as soon as you shut it off anf you can finish filling the system. If the car has no problems without the T-stat, that pretty well eliminates other problems.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: thanks again   Tech i will try that and i'll let you know   what happens ASAP... Customer
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: the t-stat only goes on one way on this car the housing wont fit if it on wrong   could it be a problem with the computer and the check engine ligth NOT be on ?
 There is no reason for the check engine light to be on. It really has nothing to do with that except for monitoring engine temp. Put the thermostat in and if it gets hot, be more specific about when and how it overheats. 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: thanks Tech    will do that   i'll get back to you soon          Customer