Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

2002 Chevy suburban: park..start unless..Neutral..alarm system

Customer Question

My 2002 Chevy suburban honks when I try to start it in park and will not start unless I put my foot on the brake or shift it to Neutral. The problem appears to be with the alarm system as the alarm light began flashing. - What is the problem and how do I fix it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Are there any aftermarket electronic components on the vehicle?Alarm or remote start?The vehicle doesn't have an alarm light that I know of but a security light.Is that what you mean?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: No after market stuff, yes I mean the security light. A little red diode on the left side of my dashboard.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you have an aftermarket alarm or remote start on there somewhere.Gm trucks use a system that light up a security light on the instrument panel cluster and its yellow and says security not a dot of light.They do not use a red diode except for possibly a radio theft lock system.If you get under the dash on the drivers side you will most likely see a black box hanging somewhere without a bracket and at least one relay.Those parts need removed from the ignition switch wiring and the multifunction switch wiring to proceed with a repair on your vehicle.Some wire repairs are likely to be needed because the people that install them usually damage wires in a bad way.Soldering and heat shrinking will be required for a proper repair.After those components are removed the problem will most likely be solved.If they are not we can continue with the diagnosis.Don't shortcut the soldering of  any cut wires because passlock systems are very sensitive to voltage drop on any circuits.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I'll check under the dash, and get back to you. I also noticed my radio will not play in the front while my kids listen to a CD in the back. Could this also be caused by the same problem?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 I don't think the 2 are connected.Did you buy this truck used?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I bought it used in April of 2003 and this is the first problem I have experienced like this.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 I kinda figured you did buy it used because of the alarm situation.If you would like after you verify the alarm being there I could check and find out the selling dealer by the vin for you to see if they do alarm installs.They may be able to correct the problem without removal.I would still remove it though.I don't advise the installation of them in the first place because of problems caused later on down the road.They also complicate future diagnosis of electrical problems.When I find an alarm or remote start added to a vehicle it is removed before I continue with diagnosis.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I appreciate your quick response, after verification I'm heavily leaning towards taking it to a local dealership as I'm thinking this is more than I want to bargain for. I intend to release the money too you if that is the problem. This is the first time I've used the service and I'm pretty sure I'll use it again, I'm pretty impressed with the advice so far.