DCM
DCM, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs Mechanic
157834

1990 Acura Legend: O2 sensors..My check engine light continues to stay

Customer Question

I have had my timing belt replaced as well as both O2 sensors and I am still having problems with my 1990 Acura Legend. My check engine light continues to stay on, which I know that could be a million things, but I am also getting the S3 light blinking at a constant rate. I know that the computer keeps the latest error stored, so when this happens I turn the car off and then just give it power but I do not start it. According to my mechanic, if you give the car power and the S3 light blinks, count the blinks and you can figure out your problem. Now when I do this I never get the S3 light to blink, it just lights for a couple of seconds and turns off like it should. I had someone else tell me that I might need to replace the catalicted converter, which I don't mind doing if this will actually fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong? Thanks for the help.
Category: Car
Expert:  DCM replied 11 years ago.
The 199o Acura Legend has a computer unit located either under the front passenger sit for four door sedan and if you have a two door coup, it's located under the passenger footrest under the carpet. Once you found the computer there is a small window along the side of it that window have a LED light it will blink when you turn on your engine the LED will blink and those blinks are the one that you need to count to find out if there is an error stored in the memory, the S3 you are saying is the light for your shifter if that keeps on blinking that means you have a problem in your speedometer and the transmission is not shifting correctly because the unit is holding it on 3rd gear due to mulfunctioning speedometer.