Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

My son left my car inition on all nite ..

Customer Question

my son left my car inition on all nite .. i got a jump and the car will start but cut off when i take my foot off of the gas
Category: Car
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 11 years ago.
 Year make and model?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to autodoc_2000's Post: 1999 mitsubishi montero.. 6 cylindar
3.2 engine
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
 According to my repair info it tells me that if a battery has been jumped started  you need to start it and allow the battery to charge some before driving. The ABS system consumes a large amount of battery cuurent to perform its self test funtion therefore causing the engine to misfire or stall.
 The ABS system consumes a large amount of battery current for its self-check function. If the battery is completely discharged and booster cables are used to start the engine, the engine must be allowed to idle for a few minutes to recharge. If the battery does not recharge, the engine may misfire or stall.

To prevent this condition,

• allow the engine to idle for a few minutes before driving the vehicle, or
  • temporarily disable the ABS system by removing the fusible link for the ABS circuit. The ABS warning light will illuminate when the ABS fusible link is removed. After the battery is recharged, reinstall the ABS fusible link and check that the ABS warning light is not illuminated.

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Disconnect the battery for 1 minute  to reset all the learning adaptives like idle. When you restart the car it should relearn the idle strategy withing a few minutes. Make sure the battery is fully charged.  

There is no way the ABS computer can consume more current than the capacity of that alternator if the engine is running.