Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

92 Saturn: SL1..horn..steering wheel would sound it)

Customer Question

92 Saturn SL1, horn started getting very sensitive (just brushing against steering wheel would sound it). So checked the fuse, good. Am keeping the fuse pulled for sanity's sake. Tried swapping the relay, still same problem - as soon as I put the fuse back the horn blows. Opened up the steering wheel cover, left it open while reinserted the fuse, horn still goes off. Not sure what else it could be, and looking for options before taking it in to the shop.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 The horn switch itself will be the problem. What has to be purchased varies with steering wheel design but if you check with the dealer, you will see how it is sold and what has to be changed.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thanks for your assistance. Is the horn switch in the steering wheel a "thing" that closes a circuit which activates the horn? What do I do if there is no Saturn dealer here (on the Big Island)? I don't have the owner's manual as I bought the car used a few years ago. I do have the Haynes Repair Manual, but it doesn't have any info on this problem.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 The switch styles vary with steering wheel style. Some can be separated from the horn pad and some are integrated into the pad. The ones in the pad are usually 2 metal strips made in very close proximity to each other. When they contact each other the horn blows. Sometimes the material in the pad deteriorates enough to let them touch. Other times it's just a weak or broken spring separating them. I understand finding one may be difficult for you. I assume you could have something shipped to you from the mainland. You might find something used but in some cases, it has to be the right color. You could always install one of the old stlyle push buttons and eliminate the old horn switch but that would be pretty tacky looking.  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: THank you very much. I have a much better understanding of the problem now.
Gina