Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

96 Honda Accord: cyl..Cannot shift from Park..depress..nuetral

'96 Honda Accord: 6 cyl. Cannot shift from Park without using "Shift Lock Release Slot". Must use key to depress shift lock release then shift car into nuetral then start the car. ALSO - All my rear brake lights are out. Horn works so I did not check the fuse for my stop lights.
 You either have a  fuse burnt out or a bad brake light switch. Use a testlight to check for power coming and going from the brake light switch under the dash at the pedal. No power means fuse problem. Power coming in and not going out when brakes are applied means bad brake light switch.
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I am willing to replace both. I'll check the fuse, but where is my brake light swithc? I do not have a testlight to check for power.

Can I easily get (and change) a brake light switch?
 You really shouldn't just throw parts at it. You need to confirm what is or isn't working. The brake light switch is mounted to the braces under the steering wheel with a button the the brake pedal strikes when it returns to shut off the lights. Even if you replace it, it will need to be adjusted properly. It may be cheaper in the long run to have someone else do it for you.
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thank you.
 your welcome. If I have answered your question sufficiently, please click on the accept button to complete the transaction.