Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

acura legend: engin..car stopped..coil using a spark tester

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1989 sterling 827SL which has a acura legend engin. The car stopped while I was driveing. I checked for spark out of coil using a spark tester. with the first crank of the engin I get only one spark and then there is no spark after that. If I turn the ignition switch off and repeat the process, I get one weak spart out of the coil and then nothing. I checked the resistance of the coil and it is within spec. the ECU flashes 15 times indicating a igniter problem according to the code. I replaced the coil, the distributer, and the igniter and I sa no change in the spark. Can you guide me what do I need to do next.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

You need to also check for injecter pulse with a noid light 9shown below). No injecter pulse either would indicate a problem with the reference signal that would be supplied by either the crank sensor or distributor pick up, depending which system that uses. I believe there is also a main relay that supplies power to these components. Check to see if your power supply at the igniter or coil is dropping out.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: All the voltage to the ignitor and coil are battery voltage. with the ignition on the distributer shows input voltage somthing like 3.5 volts. where can I can I check the injector pulse and where would I find the relay to check for the voltage.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 To check injecter pulse, simply plug a noid light into one of the injecter plugs and crank the engine. If it flashes, you have power and pulse at the injecter. Nobody is telling to to check any voltage yet. first find out what is working and what isn't.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Yes I have injecter pulse. it took me a while to buy the NOID lights.

FYI
I removed the distributor from engin block. i grounded one of the spak plug wires to ground using a spark tester. with the ignition on the and but turning the rotor, I got good sparking, but i reinstalled the distributer back to the engine block and cranked the engine, I got only one spark. Also the code 15 error is gone.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
  Have you checked to make sure the rotor is moving when the engine is cranked. A broken timing belt is a possibility. I found that Acuca uses a crank sensor for injecter pulse and the cam drives the distributor so that would make sense for your symptoms.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: The rotor turns, and the timing belt is in place. that is what I thought at first too.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Something is pretty strange if you get spark turning the distributor by hand and not is if the engine does the turning. What's the difference?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I don't get it, what else is there?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
That's what I'm saying. It just doesn't add up. Turning the distributor is what delivers the spark. It makes no difference whether you turn it or the engine turns it. Now when you had this out and turned it by hand, the cap and rotor were all assembled to it and you rotated it from the bottom and checked the spark at the plug wires, right?