Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

2003 Buick LeSabre: turn signals..speedometer, tach..cruise control

Customer Question

I just picked up a 2003 Buick LeSabre. The turn signals, (the emergency flasher is working) speedometer, tach, DIC, cruise control and rear view mirror (automatic darkening) are not working. I checked the fuses and found one bad, but it is for the cigarette lighter and when I replaced, it went bad again. Any ideas I could try? Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Was the car wrecked?I will look in the factory wirng diagrams to try and help but you must be able to do the tests I ask of you.Do you have a dvom and a test light?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: No, the vehicle was not in an accident.
I am not sure what a dvom is. (I do have a Sunpro CP7848 multitestor) and I do have a test light. I also noticed that the right rear door lock makes an odd sound when the doors are locked (like when the gear shift is moved from Park to Drive). The sound lasts for about half a second and it sounds like the current is still running to the door lock.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Object Number: 745469  Size: MF
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Check number 3 for corrosion or being loose.Hve you checked all the fuses under the hood and under the rear seat?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Where is this wiring loom located? It appears to be behind the glove box?
I have checked the fuses. The only problem was with the #23 fuse under the hood. It was blown when I checked. When I went to replace it, it sparked and the fuse blew again.
One other oddity I noticed was that in the fuse panel under the rear seat, there was no fuse in the #12 slot. I understand that some are empty, but this slot had metal connectors but no fuse. In the book, the #12 slot is for "Ignition 1".
Could this be part of the problem?

I was told today that the person that had the car privously, had had a hands free cell phone installed but removed it about a week prior to my picking it up. Thanks.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Thats why I asked about the fuses under the seat, ignition 1 powers most of the stuff you are having problems with.Put a 10 amp fuse in there and lets see how much stuff comes back to life or if the fuse blows.Check fuse 30 close also test them with your meter not your eyes.The gound in the picture is located in the right front kick panel area on the door post.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
That seems to have done the trick. I put a 10 amp fuse in the missing #12 slot. Everything that was not working is now working (turn signals, speedometer, tach, cruise control, the DIC buttons and the rear view mirror. I also checked the # XXXXX fuse and it was in fine. I also checked the #23 fuse under the hood (that was the one that kept blowing out). I replaced with a 20 amp fuse and it has not blown either now. I am still hearing a noise coming from the right side rear door when either the doors are locked with the fob or when taken out of Park and put into gear. Could that be a short in the door lock? I can't believe it is tied into the missing fuse #12, but what do I know.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
PS Where is Natrona Heights PA? I am originally from the Northeastern part of PA (Scranton Wilkes-Barre)
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Be sure to accept Davo/Diablo666's answer. He really earned it here.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 The noise in the door is probably just a loud door lock actuator and I would leave it alone unless it quits working.The fuse that is not blowing now could have been blowing because it was feeding back through other circuits with the ignition 1 being removed.Natrona Heights is about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh.If my answer satisfies your question please click on my accept button.Thank you for choosing Just Answer.If you needd help in the future you know where to come.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks much for your help. I will leave he door lock thing alone unles it becomes a real problem.
My brother lives in Butler PA. If I remember correctly, that is about 30 miles north of the Burgh. Thanks again.