Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

Astro: Chev...the car radio amplifier located - exactly

Customer Question

In a 1994 Chev. Astro van with an all option radio. Where is the car radio amplifier located - exactly? Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

The wiring schematics, component locator, and service procedures for this model year do not show an external amplifire at all, anywhere, for any of the radios in my databases.    Are you sure that the amplifier is not integral in the radio?    There are not even any amplifier plugs in the electrical plug index, nor do i see any external amp connector ports on the radio wiring schematic diagrams.

We are talking factory radio here, correct?   From the iformation I have available, I would be forced to say it does not have an external amplifier.

Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: (1) The two front radio speakers do not work. They did not work when I bought the vehicle, two years ago. This is my second, factory radio/cassette, unit, so it is probably a speaker problem and not a radio problem. There are at least eight speakers in the van. Access to the the front two seems to require complete removal of the top of the dashboard. There are only a couple of wires coming out of the radio that look like they could be speaker wires. Therefore, it seems like that there should be another piece of equiptment to route sound to the speakers. A mechanic told me that there was an amplifier and it was usually in the rear of the vehicle somewhere. The control switches on the radio seem to indicate that it is fairly sophisticated for a 1994 radio. It has five sound dip switches. And buttons labeled "APS", "AM-ST" and "CrO2". I tend to agree with the mechanic that there is an amplifier some where. All the controls influence the sound coming out of the rear speakers, so the controls are working. Are your schematics indicative of all the Chevrolet radio options? If there is not an amplifier, what else could cause the front dash speakers to not function?
(2) There is another completely seperate location problem. I have replaced the front ventilation squirrel cage blower fan motor and dashboard switch. Still, the blower operates only at high speed (there are three other speed positions) The applicable Haynes wiring schematic shows two possible other components. (A) "blower motor resistor and relay pack" and (B) "underhood fuse-relay center". I see a resistor on the rear air conditioner blower motor assembly, and this blower motor functions correctly with it's three speeds. But I don't know where the "underhood fuse-relay center" is nor a "relay pack". There is a group of three relays under the hood on the passenger side on the firewall just above the front ventilator blower motor - but I don't know what they are or how to test them. This problem also has been with the car since I had it. Given that I have replaced the motor and switch, what other components could affect the blower speed? And where are they? And what do they look like?
(3) Again a seperate, inherited, problem. Concerning the "air conditioner and heater assembly" control on the dashboard - maybe. The situation is that the air flow is always about the same, with most of the air flowing out the front dashboard vents and hardly any from the winshield defroster hole - even when the selector switch is set to the "defrost" position. The temperature control does work. I guess that this could be a vacumn hose problem. But, what else could cause the defrost air to be not deflected properly?
(4) Thank you for your forbearance - Jerry Myers.
(5) I am willing to pay another five dollars if your advice helps, but the last answer did not help. I realize that if you were standing at the vehicle your diagnosis would be easy.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

Edited byCustomeron May 22 2005 at 10:07am
Customer

Location: Detroit, Michigan
Status Now: Online
(1 Accepts/1 Questions) Posted: May 22 2005 at 10:07am      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Comment Added

<< Simple View

PLEASE REPLY SO WE CAN HELP YOU BETTER

Un-Watch this page Printable version   Email this Page
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: I have a reply but your website will not post it
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

You have 4 replies in the last in the last 11 mins. I have checked and found no material for your van that offers more then 4 speaker and see no external amp.

I will however give it one more shot.   DAVO.

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

{quote]I have a reply but your website will not post it [/quote]

That's because you have to pay the deposit first.

Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 There is no amp and the speakers can be removed very easily by popping off the cover and removing the screws.The spec for the speakers is 4-15 ohms.I am addressing the original question if you have others please post them separately.Please click on my ACCEPT button after viewing your answer.Thank you for choosing Just Answer.