Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

A 1978 304 it has an AMC bolt pattern turbo..trans..bearings..starter

Customer Question

I have a 1978 cj-7 with a 1978 304 it has an AMC bolt pattern turbo 400 trans. Why does the engine constantly wear out thrust bearings and the starter clashes when starting.
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Did this start out of the blue or was it after some type of repair?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: this all started when the 304 was swapped in the jeep originally had a 258 with the AMC bolt pattern turbo400 and a quadratrack transfer case
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 You may need a spacer plate for your application.Call a local auto recycler and ask,they have a Hollander manual that will tell them if a spacer plate should be in between the engine and transmission.The other thing to check since it started after the swap is to be sure the bolts are tight and the engine and trans are bolted up flush together and not stuck on a wire or alignment dowel.If that checks ok the torque convertor may be ballooned from over reving or overheating.Make sure the convertor can spin with the bolts out.If its tight you have a problem.The front pump in the trans could be at fault also but since you induced the problem with the swap check the other suggestions first.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
the torque converter is new and the trans has been rebuilt the correct spacer plate is also installed
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Can you spin the convertor by hand with the bolts out?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: yes I can spin the converter with the bolts out so I don't think it's pushing on the crankshaft
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Is the trans and engine aligned properly with no gaps?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
yes there are no wires or other foriegn objects between bellhousing an block and both dowel pins are in place and fully seated
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Which side of the thrust bearing is wearing out prematurely?