Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1994 Crown Victoria: a periodic sound coming..right front..front tire

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Crown Victoria. There is a periodic sound coming from the right front tire area. It is getting louder and louder. Sound is like I run over freeway rumble strips for 30 seconds. Then it stops and starts a mile or two away. It is not the road. Car has ABS brakes. What is it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Are you braking when that happens?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: No I'm driving every time it happens. I'm not using the brakes.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Is the steering wheel shaking or vibrating when this happens? Are there any other symptoms or description you can add to that.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: No that is not happening either. The span of time that this occurs is increasing and the noise from it is getting louder. This car has a lot of sitting time and is not driven that much. Mayby two to three months a year. Is this a caliper freezing up?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 The caliper freezing up is a possibility but there would be other symptoms like the car pulling to one side when not braking and the other side when braking. Let me ask you this, is the A/C on and is it working OK when this happens?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: No the heat is on most of the time. Today I used the heat and the activity occurred three times in a 10 to 14 mile ride. Twice in town and once on the freeway. I did use the air conditioning to Yakima, Wa. It was hot. It happened two to four times in that 350 mile round trip and I wasn't on the rumble strips.   
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 At the very least, you need to have the front end inspected and make sure you don't have a loose wheel or steering component fixing to fall off. Check all around the belt area for anything severely worn. Your just not telling me anything that would point to anything specific.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thank you very much. The wheel is not pulling to the right, etc. It's the sound and bumpy like rumble strips. Don't know what else to add. Thanks.
We'll check out the front end.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I really don't have any other ideas with what you've told me so far. Inspect the car, something should show up.