Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

87 ford: trany..heats and spits fluid out bell housing..aux cooler

Customer Question

87 ford a4ld trany over heats and spits fluid out bell housing. Has aux cooler installed. aamco did retrofit in 2002. I'm poor and looking for an inexspensive fix.
Category: Car
Expert:  Casey replied 11 years ago.
 I would suggest changing the fluid and filter, making sure that there is no excess metal on the botom. The new fluid may help keep it cooler, and run smoother. You can also add an aditive to keep it cooler. Should be sold at a car parts store and if not try a race shop. Also, make sure that the cooler is not clogged, the fins are not bent and that air can get to it properly. If that is all ok then check the lines and make sure that they are not pinched off anywhere to insire that the fluid is getting from the transmission to the cooler freely.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Casey's Post: Flow rate through coolers and lines within spects. New fluid and filter. Coolers have been cleaned and purged. Temp of secondary cooler < 75*F above ambeant. Low exspantion, low friction additive used.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 If a rear wheel drive vehicle blows oil out the vent and is not overfilled it usually means the pump is bad in the trans.No it isn't a cheap fix but it is the fix.You can probably change the pump yourself if you feel comfortable pulling the trans yourself.If it is overheating causing the problem something is slipping in the trans or the engine cooling system may be malfunctioning.Nothing should be added to an automatic transmission except the approved auto trans fluid specifiedd by the manufacturer.Snake oils cause more problems than they could hope to fix but some ones pocket has money falling out of it because of them.Have your fluid flushed with a machine and see if that will help.    
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: The area around the vent is dry. Fluid escapes periodicaly from the front seal. The flow rate is well within specs at idle.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 If fluid is leaking at the front seal either the seal is bad or there is something wrong in the pump area of the transmission.If it were from overheating I would expect it to come out the vent.