Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

2002 Blazer: it has headlights that automatically turn on..disable

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Blazer Extreme, it has headlights that automatically turn on, can you tell me where the sensor is that detects light to turn on the lights so I can disable it, and turn on the lights with the switch. Thanks. Doug [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
 The ambient light sensor is located under the left side speaker grille, on top of the dash by the windshield.   You should see it through or near a hole that allows light to hit it.   To remove it, take the grille off and twist the sensor to pull it out.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: I have pulled the grill but do not see any sensor to remove. There is a little dome/ bubble with wires attached on the right side grill. It sticks up out of the grill, could that be it?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I found the sensor it is in the right speaker cover not the left. But disconnecting it does not do any good the headlights stay on all the time. How do I disable the automatic feature? I can here a relay clicking which must be on a time delay. There is a 5 volt supply going to the sensor in the dash but jumping it out as if the sensor would close does not seem to work. There has to be a way around this stupid feature.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
You should be able to remove the DRL relay in the underhood fuse box to disable the Daytime running lamps.If this is the information that you needed please click on my accept button.Make sure you accept the person that helped you the most it is how we get paid.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Davo/Diablo666 has the right info here. You should be accepting his answer here.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I am not trying to disable the day time running lights I want to eliminate the headlights from coming on automatically, I want to turn them on with the light switch. I have noticed that when the lights come on by the sensor the voltage drops from 5v to 2.48v going from light to dark. when I jumped it out then it of course drops to 0v. I willneed to eathier find a resistor to to keep that at 2.48v or I would prefer somway easier. since I do not have a schematic I was trying to find a way around what appears to be a timer relay? Can you help with this? or maybe some other easier way.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Pull the drl relay a leave the ambient light sensor unplugged and see if it works the way you want it to.If it works pay me if it doesn't let me know and I will provide a diagram but you may have to enlarge it.