Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

98 GRAND VOYAGER GAUGES DONT WORK, WHY

Customer Question

i have a 1998 grand voyager and the gauges are not working. we have checked all the fuses and they all seem to be fine. please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
This instrument cluster has self diagnostic capability; if you can retrieve IPC codes from it, it may help identify the area of the problem.
to display any stored fault codes try this:
(1) with the ignition switch OFF, depress and hold teh trip and reset buttons ont eh dash simultaneously. while holding them in, turn teh ignition switch to ON
(2) Continure holding them in untill teh word CODE appears in the odometer window (about 5 seconds), then release them.    If there are any stored codes, they will display in the odometer window.    If there are any, write them down and let me know what they are; that would be a good place to start diagnositcs...
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve Rapp's Post: i tried this but nothing happened.the word code did not come up.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

MY HUSBAND TRIED THIS AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED THE SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. AND THEN IT WENT OFF THEN IT FLASHED TWICE, PAUSED, FLASHED FIVE TIMES, PAUSED, FLASHED FIVE MORE TIMES AND THEN WENT OFF.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
If the word "code" did not come up, then it is possible there is an internal fault in the instrument cluster itself.   A chrysler DRB-III Scan tool can retrieve codes and data from the IPC if the diagnostics are working.   It might also be a possibility that tehre is a problem somewhere in teh communication bus that the various exectronic modules in your vehicle use to communicate with each other; if tehre is a bus problem, the various gages may not be getting any information to display (for example, speedometer operation uses speed sensor signal from teh transmission, which pases through the powertrain controller before arriving at teh instrument cluster. If the pathway is broken anywhee in between, the signal to tell the speedometer what to display would never arrive at the speedometer).
   I'm not sure what, if anything, the significance of teh flashing "check engine" light during the diagnostic routine might have; it isnt something that is mentioned in the service information I have available to me at the moment.
   I would recommend taking this particular problem in to a shop with a DRB-3 scan tool; it will probably be fairly difficult to diagnose this particualr type of problem without having the proper equipment to check to see what data is going where in the car...
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: yes, it will show a code thing when the instrument panel works, but then it does not show any codes except 999 and i was told that was just telling me there are no codes
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

These vans had a lot of trouble with the plugs on the BCM

Remove the knee blocker reinforcement panel from under the steering column.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Junction block and body control module connectors

Unplug the instrument panel wiring harness connector from the bottom of the body control module. And clean the plug contacts with a pencil eraser

This guy had the same exact problem go to this link.

http://www.justanswer.com/forum_postsf.asp?TID=51400&PN=1

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: my husband has tried this but sadly it has not worked for us. infact he has done it a few times. but thank you anyway.