Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

Chrysler: powertrain control module replaced..valve body..I accelerate

Customer Question

My Chrysler Town and Country 2002 has a harsh upshift at 10 mph. Once it is in the higher gears, it runs like a gem. I have had a powertrain control module replaced and also a valve body replaced but it keeps happening about one out of 8 times when I accelerate. It is still under warranty but I have had it in 3 times. What else could it be? The van has 27,000 miles.
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
   When the TCM was replaced, they may ahve forgotten to reset teh pinion factor, if so, this can result in harsh upshifts.
   A chrysler database search turned up several cases where a revised design 2-4 clutch hub was installed to correct similiar complaints of a harsh 1-2 shift.
   Possible solenoid pack fluid leakage, causing a hydraulic pressure drop? this could intermittently affect shifts.
   When the valve body was serviced, did they install Mopar ATF+4 fluid?   Incorrect fluid (Dexron/ Mercon) does not contain the proper friction modifiers and will cause all sorts of strange shifting concerns when mistakenly installed.

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

I see you have not yet accepted my answer to your question; is there some way I can be of further assistance?   If there is more information you are looking for, I can try to find it for you...  

The information I have provided comes from a highly respected professional technician database of real world repair fixes that often do not seem to make it into the factory service manuals, and seems to match your symptoms exactly (this is a common problem on this model), so I have pretty high confidence in the response.     Does your technician disagree?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: The mechanic acted like that was not possible (the 2-4 clutch hub)with my Town and Country 2002. He said that it was for other cars (wasn't specific) and that it wasn't for my car. They are going to take the transmission apart this week. I have had it in 4 times now. You could be right and the mechanic wrong. If he finds out this is really what it is, I will pay you for sure.