Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1991 dodge caravan: belt..an adjustment pully or something I

Customer Question

I need to know how to put a main surpintine belt on a 1991 dodge caravan is there an adjustment pully or something I need to move to put it on
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
You don't mention what engine you have in the van, but the replacement procedures are all generally the same.
   The belt on this van is tensioned with a spring loaded automatic belt tensioner.   On the engine, you will find one or 2 pulleys about 3 inches in diameter which run against teh back side of teh belt.   One of them is the tensioner. If you take a tool that fits teh center bolt on the pulley (3/8 drive ratchet, or a 15 mm socket, depending on engine), you should be able to apply pressure and cause it to move away from the belt.   There should bea belt diagram sticker under teh hood somewhere; if not, draw a picture of how the belt goes around teh various pulleys before removing it (it can fit various ways and only one of them is correct).
   Release teh tension on teh belt, and while holding the rensioner back, remove the belt from a pulley; now you can release the tensioner and continure removing the belt.   Installation is the reverse order; just be careful to reinstall it in the same pattern as you removed it so that all of the pulleys turn in the correct direction!
   If you cannot move the tensioner, it may be frozen (this happens often). If that is the case, you will need a new tensioner to complete installation.
   Note: There are some special tensioner wrenches available that make the job much easier!

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Because you didn't include engine size, I had to include all of the available engines. Weed through it to find what applies to you and you should find everything you'll need. They vary considerably with various different engines as you can see. Some use spring loaded tensioners and some don't.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 11

Raise the front of the vehicle, support on jackstands and remove the lower splash shield if access is hampered due to space limitations when changing drive belts.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Support the vehicle, then remove the lower right side splash shield for access to the drive belts

2.2L Engines

A/C COMPRESSOR DRIVE BELT

See Figures 12, 13 and 14

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: A/C compressor drive belt adjusting points-2.2L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Loosening the locking screws for A/C compressor drive belt removal

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: Removing the A/C compressor drive belt from under the vehicle

1. Loosen the idler pulley bracket pivot screw and the locking screw.

2. Remove the belt and install a replacement.

3. Using a breaker bar and socket apply torque to the welded nut provided on the mounted bracket to obtain proper tension.

4. Tighten the locking screw first, followed by pivot screw. Tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).

ALTERNATOR DRIVE BELT (CHRYSLER TYPE)

See Figures 15 and 16

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Alternator belt adjustment-2.2L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: Loosening the locking screw for alternator drive belt removal

If removal of the alternator belt is required, the A/C belt must first be removed.

1. Loosen the pivot nut, locking screw, and the adjusting screw.

3. Adjust to specification by tightening the adjusting screw.

4. Tighten the locking screw to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).

5. Tighten the pivot nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).

ALTERNATOR DRIVE BELT (BOSCH TYPE)

1. Loosen the pivot nut, locking nut, and adjusting screw.

4. Tighten the locking nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).

POWER STEERING BELT

If removal of the power steering belt is required, the A/C and alternator belts must first be removed.

1. Loosen the locking screw, and pivot screw.

3. Install a 1/2 in. breaker bar into the pump bracket slot, apply pressure with the breaker bar and adjust the belt to specification.

4. Tighten the locking screw first, then the pivot screw. Tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).

AIR PUMP DRIVE BELT

See Figure 17

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 17: Air pump belt adjustment-2.2L engines

When servicing the air pump, use the square holes provided in the pulley to prevent camshaft rotation.

1. Remove the nuts and bolts retaining the drive pulley cover.

2. Remove the locking bolt and pivot bolt from the pump bracket, then remove the pump.

3. Remove the belt and install a replacement.

4. Position the pump, then install the locking bolt and pivot bolt finger-tight.

5. Install a 1/2 in. breaker bar into the bracket assembly (block the drive pulley to prevent camshaft rotation), and adjust the belt to specification.

6. Tighten locking bolt and pivot bolt to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).

2.5L Engines

AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR

See Figure 18

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 18: Drive belt adjustment points-2.5L engines

1. Loosen the idler bracket pivot screw and the locking screws to replace, or adjust belt.

3. Adjust the belt to specification by applying torque to weld nut on the idler bracket.

4. Tighten locking screw first, followed by the pivot screw. Tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).

ALTERNATOR BELT

See Figure 18

If replacement of the alternator belt is required, the A/C drive belt must first be removed.

3. Adjust the belt to specification by tightening the adjusting screw.

4. Tighten the locking nut to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).

5. Tighten the pivot nut to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).

POWER STEERING PUMP

See Figure 18

If replacement of the power steering belt is required, the A/C and alternator belts must first be remove.

1. Loosen the locking screw and pivot screw to replace, or adjust the belt.

3. Using a 1/2 in. breaker bar positioned in adjusting bracket slot, adjust the belt to specification.

4. Tighten the locking screw followed by the pivot screw. Tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).

2.6L Engines

ALTERNATOR/AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR BELT

See Figure 19

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 19: Drive belt adjustment points-2.6L engines

1. Loosen the locking screw, jam nut, and pivot nut.

2. Loosen the adjusting screw.

4. Adjust the belt to specification by tightening the adjusting screw.

5. Tighten the locking screw followed by the pivot nut. Tighten to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).

6. Tighten the jam nut to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).

POWER STEERING PUMP BELT

See Figure 19

If replacement of the power steering belt is required, the alternator and A/C belt must first be remove.

1. Loosen the pivot screw, and the locking screw.

2. Remove the timing pickup.

4. Install a 1/2 in. breaker bar in the adjusting bracket slot, torque to specification.

5. Tighten the locking screw, followed by the pivot screw. Tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).

6. Install the timing pick-up, and tighten to 160 inch lbs. (18 Nm).

3.0L Engines

AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR BELT

See Figures 20 and 21

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 20: Air conditioning compressor belt-1988-90 3.0L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 21: Air conditioning compressor belt-1991-95 3.0L engines

1. Loosen the locknut on the idler pulley.

2. Loosen the adjusting screw on the idler pulley.

4. Adjust to specification by tightening the adjusting screw.

5. Tighten the idler pulley locknut to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).

ALTERNATOR/POWER STEERING PUMP BELT-1988-90 MODELS

See Figure 22

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 22: Alternator/power steering pump belt adjustment-1988-90 3.0L engines

If replacement of the alternator/power steering drive belt is required, the air conditioner drive belt must first be removed.

1. Install a 1/2 in. breaker bar into the tensioner slot, and rotate counterclockwise to release belt tension.

3. Proper belt tension is maintain by the dynamic tensioner.

ALTERNATOR/POWER STEERING PUMP BELT-1991-95 MODELS

See Figure 23

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 23: Alternator/power steering pump belt adjustment-1991-95 3.0L engines

The alternator/power steering pump belt is provided with a dynamic tensioner to maintain proper belt tension.

1. Raise the front of the vehicle and safely support it with jackstands.

2. Remove the right front splash shield.

3. Release tension by rotating the tensioner clockwise.

4. Remove the belt and install a replacement.

5. Proper belt tension is maintain by the dynamic tension.

6. Install the right front splash shield. Lower the front of the vehicle.

3.3L and 3.8L Engines

ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT

See Figure 24

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 24: Accessory drive belt adjustment-3.3L and 3.8L engines

All of the belt driven accessories on the 3.3L and 3.8L engines are driven by a single serpentine belt. The belt tension is maintained by am automatic tensioner.

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I have posted your answer with complete instructions and illustrations. You'll have to pay the deposit before viewing and once you view or print the info, please click on the accept button for my answer to complete the transaction.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
I have viewed teh information posted by the other specialist above, and it is a long restatement of what I previously posted. Most of the information does not apply to your aprticular engine, unless you have a lot of V-belts under the hood. Please click on my "accept" button for easy to follow instructions for changing the belt; if you require any assistance I will be happy to help walk you through it...
~Steve
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 The instructions for every belt of every engine available for that vehicle is posted there. Simply pick the one that applies to your engine. If you want to post your engine size first, I will delete what doesn't apply to your car.