Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee: the first try..crank..starter..tested fine

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When I try to start it, it will not start on the first try, but will ususlly start when I try to crank it again. I got the battery, alt, and starter tested, and they all tested fine. I guessed it was a problem with the fuel pressure, so I had the pump and pressure tested. The pressure was low when tested, and they told me I had to have the pump, rings, and regualtor, at a cost of over $900. I believe that maybe replacing the o rings might work, or that it might just be an electrical problem. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 That shop doesn't know how to pinpoint the problem properly and they are just throwing all the parts at it. The fuel pressure is regulated at a specific pressure. The pump is capable of much more than the regulated pressure if it is working properly. Since your not having any problem once it is started, I wouldn't suspect the pressure being too low but you may have a problem with the "rest pressure" leaking down after the engine is shut off. If the check valve is bad in the fuel pump, the gas will siphon back into the tankl when parked and have a long cranking time to restart. You will need a fuel pressure gauge to diagnose that. If the gaiuge starts to drop off when the engine is shut off, quickly pinch off the feed line. If that stops the drop off, the pump is bad.  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Can I just replace the check valve or fuel pressure regulator?.....
I brought the car to be checked, and had a fuel pressure guage put on the car. The pressure was lower than necessary. They said the problem is two fold- 1.The pump is not putting out enough pressure. When I put the key in the "ON" position for a few seconds before starting, it will start right up. 2. They say the fuel pressure regulator is not keeping enough presure once the fuel reaches it, and the regulator lets it leak back into the tank. I will gladly pay for a correct answer to this problem. Any ideas?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

It cannot be both problems. I already told you how to find out if the pump is leaking back. The check valve is internal to the fuel pump and will require replacing if that test proves it to be at fault.

The way this works it the regulator is designed to bypass any pressure above the specified amount for example, it may be 35lbs, the pump is capable of probably 60-70lbs. Either the pump can't even reach the 35 or the regulator bypasses too early, neither of which I think is happening to you. The symptoms are all wrong. What's happening to you is the pressure is not being maintained when the truck is shut off and leaks back into the tank. The test I gave you will confirm or reject this.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: So, assuming the test fails, and the pump is not keeping pressure when the truck is off, the fix would be to replace the check valve, which would mean replacing the entire pump?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

In most caes, yes, but one of my friends has pointed out a TSB on this problem that may give a cheaper way out top look at first.

1400201 - LONGER THAN NORMAL ENGINE CRANK TIME PRIOR TO ENGINE START

Date: 03/16/01 (supersedes 140600 dated 09/15/00)

Model year(s): 1999-2001

Description: This bulletin involves the repair of the fuel pump module. The customer may experience a longer than normal engine cranking time prior to engine start. This condition may be caused by fuel pressure loss due to a worn sealing ring within the fuel module.

NOTE: QUALITY ANALYSIS HAS REVEALED THAT A WORN SEALING RING IS THE PRIMARY REASON WHY THE FUEL MODULE IS REPLACED FOR FUEL PRESSURE LEAK DOWN. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE SEALING RING BE REPLACED BEFORE A FUEL MODULE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT IS ATTEMPTED.

Details:1. Start and run the engine. Verify normal fuel system pressure of 339 kPa +/- 34 kPa (49.2 psi +/- 5 psi).

2. Stop the engine. Verify that the fuel system pressure does not fall below 207 kPa (30 psi) in less than five (5) minutes.

3. If the fuel pressure does not fall below 207 kPa (30 psi) in less than five (5) minutes,then the long crank time may not be due to the fuel system. Further diagnosis must be made to the entire engine system.

4. If fuel pressure does fall below 207 kPa (30 psi) in less than five (5) minutes, then refer to TSB 14-05-99 for additional fuel system diagnostic assistance.

5. If diagnosis determines that the cause of the fuel system pressure loss is due to the fuel pump module, then inspect the fuel pump module part number label for its assembly build date code (Julian date). The part number label is affixed to the fuel pump module wire harness (pigtail), near the electrical connector to the body wire harness.

6. Inspect the bottom row of numbers on the fuel module label and locate the module build date code. Determine the date of build (Julian date) for the fuel module assembly. The first two numbers in the date code indicate the calendar year (1998 = 98, 1999 = 99, 2000 = 00, 2001 = 01), and the remaining three numbers in the code (1 to 365) represent the day of the calendar year (Figure 1).

7. If the module part label indicates that the fuel module assembly was built on or before November 04, 1999 (Julian date of 99308), then a spacer must be used with the sealing ring. The split washer in the repair kit is used as the sealing ring spacer.

NOTE: FAILURE TO USE THE SPLIT WASHER, AS A SPACER FOR THE SEALING RING (WHEN REQUIRED), MAY CAUSE EXCESSIVE MOVEMENT AND DAMAGE TO THE SEALING RING.

8. If the module part label indicates that the fuel module assembly was built after November 04, 1999 (Julian date of 99308), then a spacer must NOT be used with the sealing ring. The split washer in the repair kit can be discarded.

NOTE: SOME REPLACEMENT FUEL PUMP MODULES, BUILT AFTER NOVEMBER 04, 1999 (DATE CODE 99308), HAVE BEEN USED TO REPLACE FUEL MODULES BUILT PRIOR TO NOV. 04, 1999. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT PRIOR TO EACH REPAIR THE MODULE DATE CODE BE PROPERLY DETERMINED.

Parts required:
05019308AA Kit, Fuel Pump Module Repair

Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I already purcahsed a fuel pump on ebay for $40. I am assuming that replacing the fuel pump will fix the sealing ring problem. Correct?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Yes, it will include the ring but what makes you think it won't have the same problem as yours? The fact that there is a TSB out means the problem it pretty widespread. I would replace the ring in the new one before installing it.