Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

I have a 97 Blazer with a V6 4.3L Vortec engine. W in the id number.

Customer Question

I have a 97 Blazer with a V6 4.3L Vortec engine. W in the id number. Can you tell me how many coil packs I have?
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 You have 1 ignition coil and zero coil packs.You have a distributor cap,rotor,plugs and wires.You also have injectors under the intake plenum.Looking at your other post indicates mifires on the even cylinders.That would indicate a possible pressure regulator failure under the intake plenum.You need to check fuel pressure with a gauge and for fuel pressure bleeding down.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Anything I could do myself? Can I just replace the pressure regulator? This all seemed to happen after I used a SUV sized fuel injector cleaner. Maybe it damaged some type of fuel pump membrane?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 If you feel comfortable removing the plenum yourself you should be able to change the regulator.Check with the pressure gauge first to see if its dropping or pull the passenger side spark plugs to see if they are black with soot.The regulator is available seperate from the injector assembly but if you have high mileage you may choose to just replace the injector assembly.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: My mechanic that did a tune up last summer, did pull a plug, wire, and the dist. cap. The plug was slightly blackened. I could pull the plenum, and change anything in that area, but getting at the plugs is a real butt pain, and I don't have any special tools. Thanks very much for the info. I'll send you $10.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Thank you if you click on my accept button it will complete the transaction.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: There was no accept button. Just "free post".
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Click on this accept button then.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Paid $10. Thank you! Jim Osborne
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Hi,
I got the Blazer diagnosed at a local Chevy dealer. It was the fuel pressure regulator causing the misfires. It was leaking. I also got my fuel injectors cleaned. Total cost: $488.
You were right on! Thanks again. Jim Osborne
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Just wanted to make mention... Davo/diabo666's call was RIGHT ON. Took my Blazer to my local Chevy dealer. They put it on there code reader ($69), found the fuel pressure regulator was leaking, and causing the misfires error codes.
Replaced the FPR, and on my request cleaned the fuel injectors (only GM dealers have the poppet attachment to do it RIGHT) ($356). Throw in the odds and ends costs and the total was $488. And they had it done in one afternoon. It will never cease to amaze me how much these guys make. I'm in the wrong line of work. Next car I buy will be servicable by me and my mechanic, like my old '72 Nova!!! JimCustomer
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Trust me on this the tech that did the work probably didn't even see 80 bucks out of that money.Techs don't get the entire hourly labor charge.I wish they did though I wouldn't be driving 1987 and 1988 Caprices lol.Actually I love the big full frame GM cars and won't drive anything else until I can't find anymore of them.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Geez, knowing what you know Davo, you should have your own shop! I hear ya on the "full framers". That's all my Dad drove. Belairs. He swore by them. All I do with my Blazer is swear at it, and the dealer/service department on the way down the road after dumping a weeks take home pay for a three hour job!
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 He is the king of GM cars.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Ya got that right. You told me the same thing my mechanic told me.