Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I had my tranny rebuilt about 2 days ago...when i..car back..1st gear

Customer Question

i had my tranny rebuilt about 2 days ago...when i got my car back, it would only stay in 1st gear. took it baCK TO SHOP...TECHNICICIAN said i had sticky valves...put some kind of fluid in the tranny and said that should take care the problem...it did for about 15 minutes...tranny still wont shift gears...what posibbly could be wrong? by the way my check engine light is on
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 What year, make and model?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: 1997 chevy lumina
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 Have the codes read and post the numbers if you wish.I would be back at that shop right now.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: found out today that only the transmission oil pan was dropped. got 2 other opinions...they said theyd like to know how the initial reapair was done without dropping the tranny.... now im out of $22oo bucks...thanx anyhow
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

What do you mean you are out 2200 dollars  You only had the repair done a couple of days ago right?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 You can't do an overhaul by dropping the pan.2200 bucks is more than dropping the pan.This story doesn't sound like we are getting 100% of the facts to me.Only what you wish or do not wish to convey to us.We can't help without all the facts.If they pulled the side cover and did what is known as a side slam make them fix it right,take them to court if needed.Scan the repair order and post a copy here.I would like to see what was done.I'm a GM tech and I do transmissions and something doesn't smell right to me.Also get me the codes and maybe I can help where they can't(apparently).
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
he never gave me A LIST OF CODES. i have i have placed a report with the bbb and the attorney general. i cant find a lawyer that will take the case. they all say that their fees would come to more than what i lost. i called the companies customer relations dept. they told me i cannot prove the tranny job was not done and were very ignorant. yet and still my car does not shift out of first; only on occassion such as short distances(stop sign to stop sign) i have notified a television station of my loss. i am no longer driving the car since that will worsen the apparent problem. once this situation is resolved i will get it repaired. right now though, i am letting it sit. it is my evidence.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
by the way...another reputable tranny shop which gave me my second opinion after the fact of supposed repair, is willing to testify to their findings publicly or in court.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
 You don't need an attorney to pursue this.Take them to your local magistrate or district justice.You can plead your own case for a small filing fee.If the shop loses you get your money back and the filing fee.Good luck whatever you decide.