Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

98 Toyota Corolla: 000 miles..4 cylinder..fuel injectors..engine oil

Customer Question

I have 98 Toyota Corolla with about 100,000 miles. It's 4 cylinder with fuel injectors. Since engine oil was leaking from valve cover, I changed valve cover gasket and the leaking stopped. The problem I havev is this.

I started getting vibration right after the gasket was changed. I recently flused throttle body and replaced PCV valve. I had no vibration at all before valve cover gasket change.

When I changed the gasket, I cleanup the inside of cover with towel and used sealant with new gasket. What could go wrong????

any idea??

Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Recheck your firing order on the spark plug wires. Make sure the are connected to the right coils. #1 is on the passenger side. Make sure you didn't pull one of the plug wires apart when you were pulling on them either.

1998 Toyota Corolla CE Sedan
1.8 liter DOHC L4 (1ZZ-FE)

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Corolla wire set has numbers printed on the wire. I didn't do anything for wireset. I just unplug and plug back in. The firing order didn't concern me. Some people tells me something decided to come out since it's old car, and I can't think of any reason.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Did you drop any of the spark plugs?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I didn't have to pull spark plug to change valve cover gasket. This is not the first time I worked on engine. I don't think I ever had to pull spark plug to change gasket. I've had japanese cars only.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Well, since you never identified the engine, nobody knows which one you have. Any double overhead engine places the spark plugs in the center of the valve cover which means the wires would have to come off to get the cover off. If the cover was leaking at the tube seals, which most do, it would have covered the plugs with oil so common sense would suggest that you would remove the plugs to clean all the oil out now that you have stopped all the leaks. You don't know what you did wrong so we try to cover all the bases.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: well, I thought 98 corolla has one type of engine, 4 cylinder with fuel injectors. Oil was leaking back side of the engine. Of course, I had to take the wires off, but I didn't have to pull spark plugs off . That's why I don't think spark plugs have nothing to do with this. Could it be pcv valve hose or air intake? PCV valve is quite new though.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Quote:
Could it be pcv valve hose or air intake?

Sure it could if you forgot to hook it up.

You need to just go back over your work and look for anything that may be bent, broken, unplugged or leaking. If the problem started after you made the repair, then common sense says it was because of something you did. Make sure none of the plug wires broke internally from pulling on them. If those wires were original with 100K on them, they may be breaking the carbon cores internally. If they're original, which they are if they are numbered, they should be replaced anyway.

Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: This was not much helping..Thanks anyway
Expert:  DCM replied 11 years ago.
How certain are you that all the vacum hose are plug-in correctly? If you are hundred percent sure everything you pulled out is back to where they should be, Start the engine then go under hood and listen carefuly and try to separate all the noise you hear, if you hear a little loud Tik noise sounds like an electronic lighter only louder, then check your sparkplug wire maybe there is some spark leak there, if not I saggest you to check your compression.

Let me know
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I will do that and let you know.
Thanks for the reply.