Venturi
Venturi, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE certifications in Engine Performance, Electrical systems, Heating-A/C, Brakes
74896

1990 honda accord ex: the speedometer stars..check engine light..fuses

Customer Question

I have a 1990 honda accord ex sedan.The problem is the "S" sports light will blink a problem code of 40 or 4 i think and the speedometer will not work either.I have tested the e.c.u and everything seems fine.When the car runs for awhile the engine light also comes on then later all is well.It seems when the care gets hotter the problem gets better but living in Colorado where the weather changes so often it happpens allot, the car runs fine when this happens and as the car gets hotter the the speedometer stars working but i have to re-start the car the get the "S" light and check engine light to turn off.this makes me think it is a sensor.I don't know i am not a mechanic but i do allot of work on my care and would appreciate the help.I checked all fuses and read other articles on this site but to no avail.Please help i am partially disabled and need my car for Doctors ect. Thank you. Bob Colorado
Category: Car
Expert:  Venturi replied 11 years ago.
You might be having an intermittent problem with the vehicle speed sensor circuit or the sensor itself which is mounted on the transmission. The vehicle speed sensor provides the final drive gear speed reference to both the engine control computer and the transmission control unit. This is a solid state unit so temperature may very well have an effect on its operation.

There is no transmission code 40 but a code 4 does indicate a problem with the vehicle speed sensor circuit.

If the check engine light has been coming on there should be a code stored in the computer. The codes can be checked by installing a jumper wire between the two terminals of the service check connector and counting the flashes of the check engine light when the key is tuned on. The service connector is a two wire connector located on the passenger side under the dashboard.
Fault codes 1 through 9 are indicated by individual short blinks of the check engine light.
Fault codes 10 though 43 are indicated by a series of long and short blinks. One long blink equals ten short blinks. Add the long and short blink together to determine the fault code.
If you find that the engine control computer has stored a code 17 this would also indicate a problem with the vehicle speed sensor circuit.

I have used the term “circuit” several times because the sensor itself may not be faulty. Poor connections at electrical connectors or other wiring problems may be present.
Venturi, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE certifications in Engine Performance, Electrical systems, Heating-A/C, Brakes
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Venturi's Post: Thanks for the help!I know it has to be a sensor because this problem happens when the car is not at operating temperature.I have not checked the sensor under the dash yet but that will be my next step.Thanks again for the help.Bob from Colorado.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks for the information on this issue.I have not checked the sesor under the dash or on the transmission but i will soon.I feel that one or the other is the problem.Great site!Kep up the good work.You can use my name if you wish.Bob from Colorado.