Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

Firebird: reaches..hesitate..car shakes..It idles

Customer Question

I have a Firebird (95) the engine runs fine untill it reaches 175deg then it starts to hesitate. I step on the gas and the car shakes and lose of power. It idles bad after reaching temp as well. Oil is clean no water is in there, I have no idea need help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: NO, the light is not on. Some time it will come on but for a short period of time, then it will go off.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
It sounds like you may ahve a rich fuel condition for some reason. Is there any black smoke from the tail pipe after it warms up?
   An engine requires a rich mixture when cold, which would account for it running OK cold.
I would check for a failed engine coolant temperature sensor first; if you dont have an ohmmeter or scan tool to be able to check it, it is an inexpensive part to replace for diagnostic purposes. it is located somewhere near or in teh the thermostat housing on most GM cars, it ahs a 2 wire plug, I believe one of the wires is yellow on older GM 8cyls.
   Also, is the engine full of coolant? If the coolant is low, it won't touch the coolant sensor, which then runs colder than normal, signalling teh computer to inject too much fuel since it "thinks" teh engine is cold.

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Your first step is top scan for stored codes in the computer. Every time the check engine light comes on, it stores a trouble code. This code will point you in the right direction. I'm going to give you instructions for retreiving the codes. If you accept my answer, I will continue to help you follow through with the code definitions.

To extract a trouble from the computer for diagnostic purposes, the Assembly Line Communication Link (ALDL) connector is used.

Ground terminals A and B with the ignition "ON" and engine not running. The system will enter the diagnostic mode. In this mode, the computer will display a 12, three consecutive times, by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" or light. A 12 consists of one flash, a short pause, then two flashes in rapid succession.

After 12 is displayed, any stored trouble s will be displayed by flashing the "CHECK ENGINE", "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" or "MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP" light. All s are displayed 3 times each then a 12 will repeat. In the diagnostic mode, the computer will also energize all computer controlled relays and solenoids.

ALDL Connector (Located Underdash)

The ALDL diagnostic connector is located in the passenger compartment.

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I have posted your answer. If you pay the deposit, you will be able to view it and we can get you fixed up.