Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Bus Riding Pedestrian
Experience:  I learned so much about cars -- that I no longer drive one... ;-)
14607

That hasnt run in about 2-3 years & still has gas in the tanks..crap

Customer Question

I have an old 1953 military vehicle that hasn't run in about 2-3 years & still has gas in the tanks. Gas has turned to stinky crap! How do I clean the tanks after I drain them? They're not easily removable as this is an armored personnel carrier.

I've been told to go get a "gas tank cleaner" or to just put in fresh gas, mix it around and drain the tanks. Each tank has a brass drain plug- just need to find a socket that will fit "British Standard" of about 1 1/16 size! The plug is inside of a recessed access hole in the center of a metal tank shield.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 It won't be that simple. Gum and varnish formed by the old fuel will be all over the inside of the tank. I would suspect there had to be some moisture in there which means you have some rust formed and something will have to be done about that. There are companies this will clean and glass over the entire interior of the tank to recondition it.
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
I am no expert on the subject but...

Here is
a great Web forum discussion on cleaning and reconditioning gas
tanks.  They seem to mention two (apparently identical) relining
products:

Hirsch's -- which they say is pricey -- and 'Sloshing Compound' -- made by Aircraft Spruce Company -- telephone them for the exact product:  Phone: 1-877-4-SPRUCE

Although the Aircraft Spruce product is cheaper than
Hirsch's -- both are expensive to ship because the EPA to consider them
to be hazardous chemicals.

This means that your best option is to obtain Sloshing Compound
locally.  It is apparently available that most local airport's
maintenance facilities.

No matter where you get the stuff be sure to ask for the (more expensive) alcohol resistant variety.

If you would rather have someone else do the tank relining for you --
according to the information I read -- radiator shops are your best bet.

Good Luck!

Steve