Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

92 bonneville: Left rear Transmission mount replace...hits..stearing

Customer Question

92 Bonnieville Left rear Transmission mount replace.. what do I need to remove or Move to get this off. It is unbolted but hits the stearing . do I need to drop the cross member?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 You can support the engine and drop the sub frame to gane more access.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Ok if I remove the bolts from the passenger and loosen the bolts on the other end will this allow the Sub frame enough room to drop down out of the way and will there be any problems on bolt up?? I have the transmission supported with floor Jack.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I usually do it on a lift with a pole jack. I just use the jack to support the sub frame as I lower it. To go back up I just crank it back up until I can catch the bolts and run them in with the impact gun. Just be careful not to stretch any hoses. It will only come so far because the rack is still attached to the steering column. You could just use a floor jack the same way. You'll have to use another on the engine to separate it from the mount.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I had to go to the library to get info out of a chilton Repair manual.. the problem was the steering links and cylinder was on top of the Mount and you could only move it 1 inch up . the car was on drive on ramps after I took out the 5 bolts holding the steering and lowering the subframe 1" I was able to ease the mount out the top. You can not drop the sub frame with disconnecting the steerin arms. I am sorry but I do not know what Left Rear transmission mount you were changing. the directions you gave could get someone hurt bad.. It is fixed now no thanks to YOU....
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 What's your problem? I warned you about trying it with the rack still attached. So, you had to unbolt the rack, so what? I told you it would only come so far with the rack attached..
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
You said it will only come so far with the rack on the steering column .. You did not give any clear instructions.. Sorry...How was I supposed to know about the 5 bolts... that was why I came here was for clear safe insturctions.. I am not paying for unclear instructions with no steps on how to do the Job. Chilton Manuals give clear instructions and the steps on How to do the job..
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Sorry, there is a little common sense required for most auto repairs. There are so many different variations that we can only give you general information. If you feel better holding back your $10, then go right ahead.