Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

89 Buick lesabre: hesitates..It takes 2 minutes to get up to 40mph

Customer Question

89 Buick LaSabre hesitates when taking off and is getting worse. It takes 2 minutes to get up to 40mph.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Is it truly a hesitation or just a lack of power?

Is it smooth or jumpy/shakey.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: When the car is in park, it starts and idles fine, but if I step on the gas more than half way down, the engine does not rev at all until you let up on the gas pedal.

When I'm driving it, you have to let it acclerate at it's own pace with very little force on the gas pedal. If you press the pedal too much, it jerks.

Thank you for your help!!
Brian
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

It sounds like the secondary ignition is breaking down under load. If it hasn't been done recently, you'll need to replace the plugs and wires. If you know they are good, the problem could be in one of the coils.

A pressure cleaning of the fuel injecters with industrial solvent would be very helpful also.

Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Tech501.
Thanks for our response!

I was playing around with the car last night and disconnected the mass airflow sensor and now it runs great. The check engine light stays on but the car drives 100% better. Can I keep it disconnected or is it necessary to replace the sensor? Is there another reason why it would run better by disconnecting this sensor? I hate to put too much money into this car since it is so old.
Thanks for your time!
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 That's a pretty good inmdication of a bad Mass air flow sensor. When you unplug it, the computer plugs in set value that iss good enough to run on but not customized to the current situation. I would replace the sensor and that should fix your problem. That's what happens when something is lost in the translation and description of the problem. A worded description is nothing like seeing the symptom first hand. You should be in good shape after replacing that sensor though.