Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1990 camaro rs: starter..cant hear no sound but the lights come..fues

Customer Question

i but new starter and new battery in my car 1990 camaro rs still i cant hear no sound but the lights come on still no sound ichuck oll wire and fues its ok whates the prablem
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Check the fusable links down at the starter. Pull on each one and see if they stretch. Make sure they are all still connected to the starter.

Is the security light flashing? You could have a problem with the key chip security system also. To find out, jump power to the small terminal at the starter and see if it cranks that way.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: so far every one tell me difrent could be relay o
r starter swich orwire or key chip or trans relay i dont know itry every thing nothing works.
Expert:  DCM replied 11 years ago.
Have you try what Tech501's sugestion about tapping the small positive wire that is connected to the starter. Try this have a wire that is long enough to reach the starter and the positive terminal of the battery, pull the small wire connected to the starter and attached the wire you prepare, then tap it on the positive terminal and see what happen. If the starter cranks then you may have some problem somewhere from those mention by the other mechanics, my sugestion is; if the starter turn the engine. Start playing elimination, so you can find out where is the problem, (i.e. tap a live wire into the starting relay try before and after the relay, if it cranks after the relay and not before then it's the relay.) note: before and after meaning from the switch going to the relay.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Customer

First off, be sure not to accept an answer that was just a duplicate of the first specialist's answer.

Now, I gave you a way to eliminate part of the system as the problem. If your looking for someone to just throw out the right answer, that can't be done. It would be nothing but a wild guess and you will be changing parts for nothing. This problem has to be troubleshooted systematically to determine the real problem. If you are capable, I will try to guide you through if you accept my answer but don't look for a magic wand. There isn't one.