Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

2000 toyota tundra: two wheel drive..wheel bearings from the hub

Customer Question

on a 2000 toyota tundra two wheel drive how do i remove the wheel bearings from the hub on the front.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Here ya go..........

Front Axle Hub and Bearing

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Raise the front of the truck and support with safety stands.
  2. Remove the wheels.
  3. Remove the brake caliper and suspend it with wire, out of the way.
  4. Remove the caliper mount bracket (torque plate).
  5. Remove the axle end cap and then remove the cotter pin, nut lock and nut. Discard the cotter pins.
  6. Pull the hub/disc assembly off the spindle with the outer bearing. Don't let the bearing fall out.
  7. Pry the inner oil seal out and remove the inner bearing from the hub.
  8. Clean the bearings and outer races and inspect them for wear or cracks.

To install:

9. Using a brass drift and a hammer, drive out the bearing outer race. Press a new one into position.
  10. Pack the bearings with grease until it oozes out the other side. Coat the inside of the hub and cap with grease.
  11. Position the inner bearing into the hub, coat the oil seal with grease and press it into the hub.
  12. Press the hub assembly onto the spindle and install the outer bearing and thrust washer.
  13. Install the hub nut and tighten. Turn the hub a few times to seat the bearings, then loosen the nut until there is no more than 0.02 in. (0.5mm) play. Using a spring tension gauge, check that the preload is 1.3–4.0 lbs.
  14. Install the locknut, new cotter pin and hub grease cap.
  15. Install the brake torque plate to the knuckle.
  16. Install the brake caliper.
  17. Bleed the brake system.
  18. Install the wheels and lower the vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: you are talking about a other type of wheel bearing. the one on this truck is only a single bearing that is sealed.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Those were the instuctions listed for that truck but I know what your talking about. There are 2 types, one has a removable hub that is bolted in either from the front through access holes in the hub or from behind. Those are the easy ones. If you don't have a bolted in hub assy, then you have to remove the entire knuckle and have the bearing pressed out and the new one back in.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
then how do you remove the knuckle
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 After removing all the brake parts and rotor, separate both the upper and lower ball joints to remove the knuckle. Be sure to leace the shock attached as that will be holding the spring pressure.