Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1996 Ford E-150: its warm out only, the van starts to stall

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Ford E-150 van with a 5.8 engine. When its warm out only, the van starts to stall. The van runs good when its cool out and at city or highway driving. I replaced the ICA valve and done a complete tune up including the wires. any help on this one.   
Category: Car
Expert:  Shook replied 11 years ago.
At what point does the vehicle start to stall? 5 minutes after driving begins or when? Sounds like could be something to do with EGR valve.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

I would do 2 things. First clean the throttle body by removing the intake snorkal and scrubbing the backside of the throttle plate and surrounding housing with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. That should stabilize the idle control.

Next remove the EGR valve and check it for any chunks of carbon stuck in the pintle and holding it open.

You didn't mention a check engine light so I assumed it's not coming on. If it is, have the codes read. That will point you in the right direction. If you have any further questions on the subject after accepting my answer, feel free to ask.

PS AutoZone will read your codes for free.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: The throttle body is very clean, and the egr valve is very clean also. No check engine light and no trouble codes.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Shook's Post: The vehicle starts to stall after its warmed up and only in warm weather. the egr valve is very clean. I have also gave the egr valve a vacuum test and it was good. The throttle body is very clean also.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Did you remove the EGR valve and look at the pintle?

Did you look at the back side of the throttle plate?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: The egr valve and the throttle plate is in excellent condition.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I asked you if you removed the EGR valve to inspect it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: The egr valve is new from last december.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 That means nothing at all. The problem is carbon gettin caught it it. That can happen the same day it is installed. If your going to shortcut the instructions, your not going to get anywhere with this. Unless your throttle body was cleaned last week, it is dirty.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I change the oil in this vehicle every 3000 miles like clock work. I do all my own engine work. The engine and vehicle is always kept cleaned. There is no carbon in the egr valve, even when I replaced it last December, and when I replaced the egr valve last December I dammaged it when I removed the throttle body to clean and inspect it. The throttle body is very clean inside and out. Thanks for the info and I,ll send you an extra $5.00 for your time and extra answers.    Brian
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
You might have the fuel pump checked.  Ford electric fuel pumps
are notorious for intermittantly failing (before coaking completely) in
warm weather.

Good Luck!

Steve