jon_050
jon_050, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Domestic and Imports
28561

1992 chevy cavalier: V6..idles..plenum gasket, and battery..alternator

1992 Chev Cavalier Z-24 V6 3.1 automatic transmission - stalls whenever you brake, BUT only after driving the car for approx 30 min and it's fully warmed up. Driving less than 30 min, and the car performs OK - idles at correct speed at stops. The MAP sensor has been replaced, along with the plenum gasket, and battery, and alternator. It also starts jerking and the oil pressure gauge drops and flickers madly whenever it is about to stall. To proceed w/driving after it has stalled, you need to brake and accelerate at the same time as putting the transmission into drive. Please help me.......

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/l/aa011703a.htm

This is the part that's causing the problem. You can temporarily disconnect the electrical connector to the TCC solenoid until you can get it repaired.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: Do you know why this part doesn't cause the problem right away when I start driving and occurs only after I've been driving the car for half an hour?

What's considered "temporary"? How long can I leave the electrical connector to the TCC solenoid disconnected?

Ballpark - what do you think this repair should cost at an auto repair shop?

Thanks for any and all additional info you can give me. I appreciate it.

It's simply the nature of the failure, it gets hot and the solenoid sticks.

You can leave it disconnected indefinitely if you wish. The concern is gas mileage will suffer and the trans will run slightly hotter. Heat is considered enemy no. 1 for transmissions. There is no way to predict how long is okay, some people have no trouble leaving it unhooked. The professional approach is to replace the TCC, so there will never be data collected to determine a time period. I wouldn't worry about it personally, but must warn you of possible consequences.

The cost depends on the labor rate in your area. Costs $150-175 here, might approach $300 in some areas. Many places flat rate. This means you can call (have your VIN no. handy) and they will quote you the actual cost before repair.

jon_050, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Domestic and Imports

You have not accepted my answer and I need to know why? I answered your initial question. Then I answered three follow up questions. Please tell me what I need to do to improve my answers, I live in shame that I could not satisfy you.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: Hi Jon - Thanks for your help. I thought I had accepted your answers last night, but I guess not since I got another email this morning. I'm new to the site and this was my first post. I'm going to have someone do what you suggested and I'm holding my breath that it will work and I'll be able to drive the car confidently this summer. I see I can leave feedback for you and will attempt to do that next. Wish me luck. Thanks again!
Bev