Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1999 sable: the EGR valve on and the engine light came back on

Customer Question

I have a 1999 sable 3.0 that I replaced the EGR valve on and the engine light came back on. What to do now?
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

COMPONENT TESTING

DPFE Sensor

1. Disconnect the pressure hoses at the DPFE sensor.
  2. Connect a hand vacuum pump to the downstream pickup marked REF on the sensor.
  3. Using a multimeter, backprobe the SIG RTN circuit at the DPFE connector.
  4. With the ignition ON, signal voltage should be 0.20–0.70 volts.
  5. Apply 8–9 in. Hg of vacuum to the sensor. Voltage should be greater than 4 volts.
  6. Quickly release the vacuum from the sensor. Voltage should drop to less than 1 volt in 3 seconds.
  7. If the sensor does not respond as specified, check the power and ground circuits.
  8. If power and ground circuits are functional, the sensor is faulty.

EGR Valve Control Solenoid

1. Remove the EVR solenoid.
  2. Attempt to lightly blow air into the EVR solenoid.

1. If air blows through the solenoid, replace the solenoid with a new one.
    2. If air does not pass freely through the solenoid, continue with the test.

3. Apply battery voltage (approximately 12 volts) and a ground to the EVR solenoid electrical terminals. Attempt to lightly blow air, once again, through the solenoid.

1. If air does not pass through the solenoid, replace the solenoid with a new one.
    2. If air does not flow through the solenoid, the solenoid is OK.

4. If the solenoid is functional but the problem still exists, check the power and ground circuits.

EGR Valve

1. Install a tachometer on the engine, following the manufacturer's instructions.
  2. Detach the engine wiring harness connector from the Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid.
  3. Disconnect and plug the vacuum supply hose from the EGR valve.
  4. Start the engine, then apply the parking brake, block the rear wheels and position the transmission in Neutral.
  5. Observe and note the idle speed.

NOTE: If the engine will not idle with the IAC solenoid disconnected, provide an air bypass to the engine by slightly opening the throttle plate or by creating an intake vacuum leak. Do not allow the idle speed to exceed typical idle rpm.

6. Using a hand-held vacuum pump, slowly apply 5–10 in. Hg (17–34 kPa) of vacuum to the EGR valve nipple.

1. If the idle speed drops more than 100 rpm with the vacuum applied and returns to normal after the vacuum is removed, the EGR valve is OK.
    2. If the idle speed does not drop more than 100 rpm with the vacuum applied and return to normal after the vacuum is removed, inspect the EGR valve for a blockage; clean it if a blockage is found. Replace the EGR valve if no blockage is found, or if cleaning the valve does not remedy the malfunction.