Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

I accelerate, is this due to a timing belt problem? I..shocks..springs

Customer Question

I get a squeky sound everytime I accelerate, is this due to a timing belt problem?

I also just installed new tokiko illumina shocks and some eibach prosport springs, yet my car is still bumpy, what am I doing wrong here?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

No, it's not your timing belt. If that one slipped even a little, the car wouldn't run. It can be the regular drive belt though. If they are ols, replace them. If they are relatively new, tighten the ones that are not tight enough.

As far as your ride, I'm suspecting you either have low profile tires and/or the suspension has been lowered. With either of those your soft ride is gone. That's the price you pay for that stuff.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I just realized the sound is coming from the right- front area, of the car just behind the tire/rim itself, don't know what it can be though, I just checked the drive belts, no cracks or anything.

AS for the ride yeah it's lowered, I kinda wish now I didn't, so pretty much nothing I can do to alleviate the bumpiness?

I just also realized sometimes the the parking brake light would go on an off at random, I don't smell the brakes burning though, anyway to fix this?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

The right front is probably the side where the belts are. I'm sure at least one needs tightening.

The ride, yes your stuck with it. That's the price you pay for messing with the manufacturer's engineering.

The brake lights, look under the dash on the driver's side. There is a switch that the brake pedal rests against when released. It usually has a rubber pad that the switch strike against and that pad wears and falls off. You either have to get another one from the dealer or make something to take it's place.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Oh I didn't even tell you what my car is it's a honda accord lx, sorry about being vague on that.

So replacing that rubber pad will clear up the parking brake light on the dash?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I'm sorry. I misread your question on the brake lights. I thought you were referring to the rear brakes lights but I see now you were talking about the dash brake light. That is also a brake warning light. Check your brake fluid level. That will put that light on also. If it is low on fluid, that would also indicate the front brakes are worn considerably. Sorry about the misunderstanding.  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Ahh thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sound seems to squeek also when I nudge/push the care left - right (car turned off) it somewhere around the right front, squeeks when I accelereate, but doesn't squeek when I brake, but sqeeks when the car is off and I push it left to right, it's wierd
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

[quote]Reply to Tech501's Post: Ahh thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sound seems to squeek also when I nudge/push the care left - right (car turned off) it somewhere around the right front, squeeks when I accelereate, but doesn't squeek when I brake, but sqeeks when the car is off and I push it left to right, it's wierd [\quote]

That rules out the belt then. Something is worn and scraping metal to metal in the suspension. It needs to be inspected carefully. I suspect it may have something  to do with the lowering process.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thank you you probably just saved me 200 bucks right there, I'll have to take a closer look over the weekend, one more question any good online vendors for honda parts? The only one I know of is majestic honda
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

If I have answered your questions sufficiently, Please click on the accept button to complete the transaction.