Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

93 Mazda miata: 1.6L..flushed..was just with the water hose..my manual

Customer Question

I have 93 Mazda Miata witha 1.6L I have the Radiator and the resavar getting a brown slush, I checked the oil and there is no water mixing into the oil, now I have not seen that the oil pressure has gone down some,But I did have a new catalytic converter on it, but I don't think that would do any thing to the oil pressure, now the last time I had my oil changed they puy a hole bottle of lukes oil in to it, and then when I changed the oil I only put what it said on the bottle and it wasen't the whole bottle. I have only flushed the Radiator once, and that was just with the water hose, I have tried to look this up in my manual but no luck, so If you know anything please let me know, I have become worried that It maybe a cracked head. Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 There aren't too many ways for oil to get into the cooling system besides a cracked head. I assume you have a manual trans, so that rules out a trans cooler lealikng. I would watch it very close as you may be right about the cracked head or bad head gasket.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Yes I have a manual trans. but I'm not to sure on what your talking about on the trans cooler lealikng, The other thing I thought about was maybe there where two kinds of coolent mixed, the slush is a brown color but not oily???
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 Don't worry about the cooer, it doesn't apply to your car. If what your seeing isn't oily, it may just be rust. Get the cooling system flushed thoroughly and see if it comes clean. You will have to manually remove the overflow tank to clean it. Toilet bowl cleaner works well on them.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I flushed It once with just the water hose, would it be better to have a shop to do it, I'm not sure on what they do to flush it.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 It's really impossible for you to get anything out of the block. First it needs to be rum with some good flushing chemical to loosen things up some. The equipment the shop uses lets the engine pump out the dirty coolant while replacing the clean coolant from the other direction. It's the only way your going to get anything out of the block and even doing it that way, it may have to be repeated in a month or so to get the rest. It's very difficult to get the embedded sediment out of the block. It comes off one layer at a time.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Ok thank, yes I had foegotten about the block, like you said doing it the way I have done it would have to be done in a mo, because it has been about that sence the last time I did it, thanks for you help.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Your welcome.

Please click on the accept button to complete the transaction.