Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1972 FORD: COIL..DIST..CAP..ROTOR NEW POINTS

Customer Question

NO SPARK ON BOAT ENGINE 1972 FORD 460 NEW COIL NEW DIST
NEW CAP AND ROTOR NEW POINTS NEW CONDENSER.NEW BALLAST RES STILL NO SPARK
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

do you have 12 volts at the + side of the coil?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: I HAVE 11 VOLTS ON THE POSITIVE SIDE THANKYOU..ROBB
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Is the negative side of coil flashing on off with test light when you crank the engine?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
HELLO FROM ROBB ,I HAVE SPARK AT THE POINTS BUT NOT AT THE WIRES ,YEARS AGO WHEN I REBUILD MY MOTOR I HAD SOME THING OF THE SAME ,AND THE MAN THAT I BOUGHT THE BOAT WAS CAR SERVICE TECH.AND I THINK HE TOLD ME TO GET TO TDC AND TAKE OUT MY DISTRIBUTIOR AND GO AND GO BACK 180 DEGREES THEN RESET THE DIST,BUT IT WAS LONG AGO SO IAM NOT SURE .THANKS ROBB...
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Thats not going to get you spark thats to adjust timing you have to get spark befor we even deal with timing issues.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to enginboy's Post: FROM ROBB., I HAVE NOT CHECKED THAT YET BUT I WILL I HADE TO TAKE THE BOAT BACK TO STORAGE BECAUSE THE POLICE WANTS OFF THE STREET,BUT ICAN SAY THAT THERE IS VOLTAGE ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE AND THATS WHERE THE WIRE TO MY DIST IS LOCATED,I HAD SOME WORKED DONE ON THE BOAT STEERING AT A BOAT SHOP AND AFTER I GOT IT BACK THIS ALL HAPPENED,THEY SAID THEY DID NOTHING TO IT I JUST THOUGHT THEY WANTED MORE BUSINESS???? THANKS ROBB
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
  If the test light is not switching on and off on the negative side of tjhe coil the field is not colapsing and you 'll never get spark  

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
HELLO FROM ROBB., OK THEN IF THAT IS TO BE THE CASE THEN WHY WOULD IT NOT WORK IVE REPLACED EVERTHING THAT COULD BE CHANGED OUT EVEN NEW WIRES AND THE COIL IS THE BEST YOU COULD BUY??THANKS ROBB...
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Is the the circuit opening and closing on the negitive side of the coil you have to check that and let me know this is the only way we are going to get to the bottom of this.

There are certain steps that have to be taken in order to properly trouble shoot your problem.

Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Awaiting custumer reply
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
HELLO ITS ROBB .,IVE TOOK OFF WORK TODAY TO PLAY AGAIN ON THE BOAT.,IHAD SOME LUCK I GOT RID OF THE BALLAST RESISTOR AND GOT 11 VOLTS AT THE COIL AND GOT SPARK AT THE PLUG WIRES,MY NEW COIL ASK THAT I PUT A 0.8 OHMS RESISTOR BUT THEY DONT SELL THEM HERE FOR I THOUGHT THAT THE LENGTH OF THE WIRES FROM THE SWITCH TO THE COIL WOULD DROP AND IT DID SOME I HAD A 1.05 OHMS AND WOULD ONLY GIVE OUT 3VOLTS TO THE +SIDE OF THE COIL ,NOW THAT I HAVE SPARK THREW THAT IGOT A SIGN OF LIFE OUT OF THE MOTOR ,NOW I NEED TO FIND THE RIGHT TIMING FOR THE MOTOR ,ITS NOT ALIVE YET. ROBB...
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
FROM ROBB ., YES THE CIRCUIT IS OPENING AND CLOSING,YESTERDAY I TOOK OFF WORK AND TRIED AGAIN I WAS ONLY GETTING ONLY 3VOLTS FROM THE BALLAST RESISTOR SO I TOOK IT OFF AND GOT THE 12 VOLTS AND GOT SPARK AT THE WIRES ,THE COIL SAIDS THAT I NEED A BALLAST RESISTOR OF 0.8 OHMS BUT THEY DONT SELL THEM HERE ,THEY SAY THAT I CAN ONLY HAVE 9 VOLTS AT THE COIL TO PREVENT IT FROM EXPLODEING OR KILLING THE COIL, BUT EVEN WITH A NEW BALLAST OF THE SAME TYPE THAT BEEN ON THE ENGINE IAM NOT GETTING THE VOLTS NEEDED, IVE GOT SPARK NOW ,AND NOW I NEED TO FIND THE RIGHT TIMEING ,I WENT TO TDC AND REINSTALLED THE DISTRIB WWITH THE ROTOR POINTED AT WHERE THE #1 WIRE IS GOING TO BE WHEN THE CAP IS PUT ON BUT STILL ONLY A LITTLE SIGN OF LIFE IF YOU CAN HELP WITH THIS AND ANSWER IF I NEED THE BALLAST RESISTOR,JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THAT WITH THE DISTANCE FROM THE SWITCH TO THE COIL VOLTAGE DROPS TO 10TO11 VOLTS SO IT DROPS SOME (VOLTAGE DROP) BUT I DONT KNOW ? THANKS ROBB....
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

If you have a 2 volt  voltage drop from battery to coil you still have problems maybe it the voltage you are looking for but it's not the way to get it . This could be  asign of circuit failure down the road.