Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1993 TOYOTA CAMRY: I NEED TO REPLACE MY IGNITION SWITCH AND CYLINDER

Customer Question

I NEED TO REPLACE MY IGNITION SWITCH AND CYLINDER ON MY 1993 TOYOTA CAMRY. CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME PICTURES ON HOW TO DO THIS?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before working on the vehicle.

1. Remove the lower steering column cover. Unfasten the ignition switch connector under the instrument panel.

2. Remove the screws which secure the upper and lower halves of the steering column cover.

3. Turn the lock cylinder to the ACC position with the ignition key.

4. Push the lock cylinder stop in with a small, round object (cotter pin, punch, etc.).

On some vehicles, it may be necessary to remove the steering wheel and combination switch first.

1. Withdraw the lock cylinder from the lock housing while depressing the stop tab.

2. To remove the ignition switch, unfasten its securing screws and withdraw the switch from the lock housing.

To install:

1. Align the locking cam with the hole in the ignition switch and insert the switch into the lock housing.

2. Secure the switch with its screw(s).

3. Make sure both the lock cylinder and column lock are in the ACC position. Slide the cylinder into the lock housing until the stop tab engages the hole in the lock.

4. Install the steering column covers.

5. Connect the ignition switch wiring.

6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I'M REALLY CONFUSED NOW. MY IGNITION IS ON MY DASH AND HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH MY STEERING COLUMN. I ASKED FOR PICTURES OR DIAGRAMS ON HOW TO REPLACE THIS. THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER THAT I ASKED FOR. I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS ANSWER THAT WAS RESPONDED TO ME.
GREG
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 It may appear to be in the dash only but it is attached to the steering column behind the dash. Get a look under there and you should see an attached housing to the column.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I NEED TO BE ABLE TO REMOVE THIS CYLINDER AND REPLACE IT LATER NEXT WEEK. I WILL UNFORTUNATELY HAVE TO "JIMMY - RIG" IT WITH A FLAT HEAD FOR NOW. IS IT TRUE THAT THERE IS GOING TO BE SOME KIND OF ROD ATTACHED TO THE LOWER COLUMN? DO I NEED TO REMOVE THAT TO UNLOCK THE STEERING?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I don't know what you think your going to "jimmy rig', but the only way your going to unlock that steering wheel is to either remove the lock or get it to turn with the key. You'll break the screwdriver before the lock. I have given you all the information needed to resolve the situation. Please click on the ACCEPT button after viewing.