Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

longer shift the on the floor shifter...I depress the brake..thanx

Customer Question

I can no longer shift the on the floor shifter. Although I depress the brake, the car cannot be put in gear. How do I take apart, and where do I get replacements

Thanx
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 That is not a problem with the shifter itself, rather the shifter interlock system. The brake pedal triggers a lock solonoid in the console the release it from park. Use a test light to determine if the brake switch is sending the power properly, and if so, you likely have a problem with the solonoid in the console. You will have to remove the console to access it for testing and visual inspection. If you need specifics on removing the console, I'll need specifics on the year and engine size.  
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thanx for the quick reply Tech501. It is a 1994 Ford Taurus LX with a 3.8L V6 engine. By the way, I also did not mention that the small button on the Shifter Knob was broken off. I have it held in place with a small cover which I created. It worked perfectly until yesterday. I cannot seem to find out what Ford calls this piece. Any help is greatly welcomed.

Thanx again Customer
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Gimme a break! 

Did you think that wasn't important to tell me? It's called a "release button" and obviously, that's the reason it won't shift.

Please click on the accept button after viewing.

Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I have just accepted. Can you please shed some detailed light on my issue. ( May have to become unexpectedly sick tomorrow)
Customer
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
 I looked around for some instructions and can't find anything specific to the shifter  knob. You don't have to remove that to remove the console so the instructions aren't published. There is usually a recessed allen set screw near the bottom somewhere on most of them but they vary with style. When you go to Ford for the new one, it may come with the whole handle and you can examine it to determine what holds it on. The parts guy can probably be helpful with that too.